Fey Tainted Prestige Class

Patlin

Explorer
This proposal is now moot.

[sblock]NOTE for players in Faerie Woods: Any information contained herein that your characters don't allready know is out of character information. Please only read if you are comfortable ignoring this for in-game purposes.

This short class is specifically designed as an alternate solution to a particular problem that has come up in the Faerie Woods adventure, but could conceivably be more generally applicable should other travelers in EN World have contact with the Fey living in Under-The-Hill.

Background: The Fey living in Under-The-Hill often present visitors with "Fey Foods" that are harmless to Fey and very tasty to humans, but unfortunately addictive in a magical way. Specifically, those that eat of the food are subject to a curse (will save negate, DC 15 + 1 per bite of food.) The effects of the curse are that normal, edible food is transformed into a poison as the victim eats it. The poison can be resisted with a DC 12 Fortitude save, does initial damage 1d4 Wisdom and secondary damage 1d4 wisdom.

This effect is known to the Fey, and they use it to keep some control over those guests, knowing that they are the only source of the food they are addicting their guests too. The fey also have the ability to cure this addiction, should it become in their best interest to do so.

Some, however, may choose to embrace the changes. With the help of the fey from Under-The-Hill, some fey guests become more fey-like with continued exposure to fey food. In game terms, this is expressed by taking levels in the following prestige class.

Fey Tainted HD: D6 Skill Points/Level: 6+Int
Code:
              Saving Throws                                    Bonus
Level  BAB   Fort Will Reflex Special                       Spells
1      +0    +0   +2   +2     Fey Taint, Ability Boost (Dex+2)    1
2      +1    +0   +3   +3     Fey Spirit, Ability Boost (Cha+2)   2
3      +1    +0   +3   +3     Fey Friend, Ability Boost (Cha+2)   2

Requirements: In order to take levels in this class, the character must be addicted to Fey Food, must be in good graces with the Fey Lord, and must be able to either summon food magically or be able to cast prestidigitation. the character cannot be fey or half fey.

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Spot (Wis).

Class Features:
Bonus Spells: Fey Tainted gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if from having a high ability score, as given on the above table. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

If a character has more than one spellcasting class, he must decide to which class he adds each bonus spell as it is gained. Once a bonus spell has been applied, it cannot be shifted.

Ability Boost (Ex)
As a fey tainted gains levels in this prestige class, her ability scores increase as noted on the above table.

These increases stack and are gained as if through level advancement.

Fey Taint: Any food conjured by the character or flavored by the character with the Prestidigitation cantrip is treated by their own body as if it were fey food, and does not trigger the curse.

Fey Spirit: The character gains low light vision, the ability to cast prestidigitation 3 times per day as a spell like ability, and the ability to manifest Compression once per day as a Psi-Like Ability. The caster level/manifester level is equal to the level in the prestige class.

Fey Friend: The character gains a +3 bonus on diplomacy checks when dealing with fey and a +2 bonus to saving throws against spells and special abilities used against them by fey.

Notes on creation and balance: My two main sources were the Dragon Disciple Prestige class (from which I used the ability boost class ability, the bonus spells class ability, and the class skills list) and the fey type description (from which I took saves, hit dice, and base attack bonus.)

This is a substantially more caster-class oriented prestige class, with a lower BAB, much lower HD, more skills, and more densley packed special abilities. It does not offer an increase in caster level, which is a major weakness of the class.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
The stat boosts being as compressed as they are seems a bit much to me. While you don't get any caster levels, this seems like an ideal sorcerer PrC due to the +4 Charisma and bonus spells, not to mention extra skills, better HD, and a boost to saves, and the big weakness of the food curse isn't an issue for a sorcerer if they have prestidigitation (They get lots of 0 level castings).

The 3rd level Fey power seems underwelming compaired to the second level power. You might consider moving Compression to L3, otherwise it seems ideal for cherrypicking from for 2 levels, particularly for an arcane trickster style character.

If you made it a 5 level PrC with some (say 3 levels), it might work a bit better. it would space out the atribute bonuses a bit, you could gradualy increase how often they get to cast Prestidigitation for free, and perhaps give them a few more fey traits.

I might suggest they also get some sort of fey-like traits, like odd colored eyes, strange hair color, fey facial features, things like that.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
The stat boosts being as compressed as they are seems a bit much to me. While you don't get any caster levels, this seems like an ideal sorcerer PrC due to the +4 Charisma and bonus spells, not to mention extra skills, better HD, and a boost to saves, and the big weakness of the food curse isn't an issue for a sorcerer if they have prestidigitation (They get lots of 0 level castings).

The 3rd level Fey power seems underwelming compaired to the second level power. You might consider moving Compression to L3, otherwise it seems ideal for cherrypicking from for 2 levels, particularly for an arcane trickster style character.

If you made it a 5 level PrC with some (say 3 levels), it might work a bit better. it would space out the atribute bonuses a bit, you could gradualy increase how often they get to cast Prestidigitation for free, and perhaps give them a few more fey traits.

I might suggest they also get some sort of fey-like traits, like odd colored eyes, strange hair color, fey facial features, things like that.
I actually disagree with Bront to the opposite extreme--I don't think any sorcerer would ever take this PrC (unless they were willing to be extraordinarily weak for RP reasons) because it cripples them. I'm thinking a Bard or ideally a Rogue who can somehow qualify. Losing the three caster levels is an insurmountable blow for a sorcerer.

The requirements look like they can be reached at level 1, but assuming you can reach them at level 3, compare a Sorcerer3/FeyTainted3 to a Sorcerer6.

The Sorcerer3/FeyTainted3 has level 1 spells. He has a whole lot of level 1 spells. Coincidentally, his friend the Paladin has the same max spell level that he does. Sure, he has higher Charisma, but Sorcerer6 has level 3 spells. There's no contest here--the Sorcerer3/FeyTainted3 would be more-or-less worthless to a level 6 party. But his DCs are two higher, right? Actually, that just makes up for the fact that his spells are two levels lower, and the fact that LEW doesn't allow the Practised Caster feat is the nail in the coffin.

That said, this PrC is awesome for social Rogues who qualify :)

orsal

LEW Judge
I need to think some more about this before voting. I am a little queasy about the massive ability boosts, although the class otherwise seems quite weak. Some comments about details:

Patlin said:
Some, however, may choose to embrace the changes. With the help of the fey from Under-The-Hill, some fey guests become more fey-like with continued exposure to fey food. In game terms, this is expressed by taking levels in the following prestige class.

I note that the first level of this class is likely to be taken as a way to bypass a curse that has befallen the character in game. A character who continues on to 2nd level is no doubt one who as chosen to cultivate her fey-enhanced nature.

Patlin said:
Requirements: In order to take levels in this class, the character must be addicted to Fey Food, must be in good graces with the Fey Lord, and must be able to either summon food magically or be able to cast prestidigitation. the character cannot be fey or half fey.

Observation: any gnome who gets addicted will qualify (prestidigitation as spell-like ability). The character need not have a single level in a spellcasting class. This PrC differs from most in that its prerequisites depend principally on an accident beyond the control of the player and not on the character's previous advancement.

Patlin said:
Bonus Spells: Fey Tainted gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if from having a high ability score, as given on the above table. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

Generally a PrC with an ability such as this has a prerequisite restricting it to characters with level(s) in some spellcasting class. I'd suggest one of the following for this class:
* Change the language in the Requirement section to specify (summon food or prestidigitation) as a spell
* Add a new requirement that a character must be able to cast spells of some sort
* A variation for characters without levels in any spellcasting classes, e.g. take one spell which you can cast 1/day

Patlin said:
the ability to cast prestidigitation 3 times per day as a spell like ability,

For a gnome, would this stack with the existing Sp ability? It should be stated explicitly that it does or does not.

Patlin said:
Fey Friend: The character gains a +3 bonus on diplomacy checks when dealing with fey and a +2 bonus to saving throws against spells and special abilities used against them by fey.

Convince me of this... why would it make sense for a fey friend to have a saving throw bonus that fey themselves do not have?

Patlin said:
Dragon Disciple Prestige class (from which I used the ability boost class ability, the bonus spells class ability, and the class skills list)

Exact same class skill list as a Dragon Disciple? Obviously there should be considerable overlap, since both dragons and fey are arcane creatures, but some differences. I don't see anything on the list begging to be taken away (any class with 6 skill points per level should have a reasonably long list), but perhaps a few should be added. Hide and Move Silently seem rather fey-like to me; small lightweight airy creatures are naturally better at it than gigantic roaring creatures who measure their weights in kilotons. Perhaps more Cha-based skills, given that it seems a Cha-focused class (Bluff? Disguise?)

Patlin

Explorer
Lots of interesting comments, thank you all.

A few thoughts, I'll hold off on edditing the first post.

I tend to agree with Rystil that it's a relatively weak class from a power game perspective. I myself would be unlikely to take it for that reason. I've tried to make it interesting, more than powerfull. That said, I'd like to tinker with it until we feel that taking it is neither a big power boost nor a big power hit.

The Fey Taint/Fey Spirit/Fey Friend series is all a bit underwhelming, and mostly for color. It's true that the Fey Taint ability just circumvents the curse, which might otherwise be dealt with
either by using a break enchantment spell or by diplomatically interacting with the fey lord at the end of the adventure
. Fey Spirit provides the useful low light vision and allows for the casting of 3 cantrips per day and the use of 1 1st level power. I would have gone with the nearly identical "Reduce Person" but the power had two advantages IMO -- 1st, no type restriction, and 2nd, self only. Not particularly powerfull, but hopefully interesting. Fey friend I'm not sure I'm happy with, any suggestions would be welcome. I agree with Orsal that the save bonus doesn't make much sense.

The major problem that's been pointed out so far is that the prerequisites are too low. Adding "Able to cast 2nd level spells" might fix that, and make it less interesting to social gnome rogues. :)

In terms of evaluating the class as a whole, I would suggest that the PC class with the most in common is the bard. Same HD, same skill points, same number of good saves. The most significant advantage of the PRC would be the ability boost. The two advantages of the bard class would an expanded spell list (usefull for scrolls and wands) and bardic music.

Adding Hide and Move Silently to the class skills list sounds good to me.

This PrC differs from most in that its prerequisites depend principally on an accident beyond the control of the player and not on the character's previous advancement.

This is true, although there was some sort of bizarre spider thing of lolth PRC that also relied on an accident in Song & Silence.

In case it's not clear, this whole proposal is more or less accidental. I had intended the curse to be temporary, and I'm looking at an alternate option because the player expressed interest. ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
As far as I recall, bloodlines have to be taken at 1st level, so no, not really.

Compression PLA over Reduce Person (self only, no type limitation) SLA? The latter is a perfectly acceptable use of a spell-like ability.

I'd actually advocate a renaming - while the character with the class may originally be tainted, he (or she) then embraces it, and becomes more of a fey-touched.

It would be nice to go through the fey in the MM and see if they provide some inspiration for abilities. Have you thought about the possibility to actually change the type to fey at third level?

El Jefe

First Post
Knight Otu said:
It would be nice to go through the fey in the MM and see if they provide some inspiration for abilities. Have you thought about the possibility to actually change the type to fey at third level?
The one thing all MM fey have in common is at least 5 points of damage resistance/cold iron. I'd think that if you went through all 3 levels of this you should have at least a point or two of DR/cold iron.

Rystil Arden

First Post
El Jefe said:
The one thing all MM fey have in common is at least 5 points of damage resistance/cold iron. I'd think that if you went through all 3 levels of this you should have at least a point or two of DR/cold iron.
That would be consistent with a 3rd-level warlock.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
As far as I recall, bloodlines have to be taken at 1st level, so no, not
Well, so do templates like the half-dragon (IIRC, away from my books at the moment, but it has something like "Half-dragon is an inherited template" or somesuch), yet the Dragon Disciple PrC gives the template (which would make it "acquired" instead of "inherited"). And even then, there's nothing that says that rules can't be altered.

Using a bloodline instead of a PrC would make the losses and gains more equal for all the classes, I think.

Remove ads