• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiddling with Pregens, and a Halfling Rogue

keterys

First Post
And the rest. I'll get things posted in a file later (got a game to go to)

Roleplaying
Feel free to change things, but if you do let the rest of the party know so they can change how they think of you.

Riardon Brightvale is an overly confident eladrin who considers it only a matter of time before he has purged the world of its evils. He prefers to spend time scouting and assessing any situation then taking the most direct solution. He sees little point in lying to someone and mere mortals are generally less important than the needs of the world and its civilizations. Accordingly, he is more than willing to risk himself for the greater good.

Other Party Members:
Corrin Reedson - Corrin is a prized member of my fellowship, tasked with holding the melee line while I take care of actually killing things. He is trustworthy.

Erais the Sunlord - A moderating influence within the fellowship. Although he sometimes fails to see the light, once convinced of an issue he can bring the others in line.

Fidder Rivers - This aimless vagabond seems to think he is in competition with me in everything. Unfortunately he fails to understand that I am better than him at everything worthwhile.

Kathra Ironforge - A foul-mouthed ale-chugging braggart who thinks violence is the best answer to any problem. In other words, a dwarf. She is useful enough at keeping enemies off my back at least.

Skamos Redmoon - After myself, Skamos is the next closest things to a brain in the fellowship. As long as Fidder and Kathra don't ruin things, the group is well aided by following the plans that the two of us concoct.

Tira Duskmeadow - Tira is an impressionable young girl who seems eager to learn of Home. Someday I will take her to the Feywild so we may liberate the Eladrin cities together. She seems overly concerned with her appearance around me. Perhaps my Eladrin perfection makes her self-conscious of her own human flaws. Ah well.

Roleplaying
Feel free to change things, but if you do let the rest of the party know so they can change how they think of you.

Erais is a thoughtful and caring person who worries quite a bit about the repurcussions of everyone's actions. As a child, he was shy and afraid of the dark. During the daytime he'd keep moving to keep out of shadows and outdoors, so that the sun always shone on him. He quickly acquired a nickname - a nickname that translated into common as 'Sunlord'. When asked to give himself a title, on becoming a man, he used his nickname. In hindsight, he should have realized others would think it pompous. He hopes to bring light to all the dark places of the world. The group has many problems that might fragment it, if not careful, so he tries to keep everyone happy. Together they can grow in power and some day perhaps do something momentous, like clear out the Underdark. Perhaps something a bit easier and less likely to cause problems. He hates it when people make fun of Amaunator's name, like it's hard to pronounce or spell.

Other Party Members:
Corrin Reedson - Well meaning, but Tymora is an erratic god. Luck is no substitute for thought and effort. No doubt he came to his faith due to his upbringing. In another life he might have been a paladin of Amaunator.

Fidder Rivers - He's a troublemaker, but his jokes and antics are a good way to take people's minds off serious things. If things get too grim or a plan too painfully complex, a good verbal poke will get him going.

Kathra Ironforge - Kathra is a weapon forged to fight the darkness. Her shield and hammer protect me, and Amaunator's light guides her. She hides behind booze and bravado, but she is a true hero.

Riardon Brightvale - The greatest danger to the group lies in Riardon, but he is also one of the most motivated to accomplish something real. He is extremely valuable on the battlefield, so it's simply a matter of damage control to realize he is no more or less important than anyone else in the group.

Skamos Redmoon - His temper is a danger, but as long as he stays calm he is invaluable to the group. He knows a great deal and is willing to discuss almost any problem. I wish that he truly cared about more things, but I hope that our debates of history and morality will make him realize that doing great deeds is about more than just glory and benefits for the self.

Tira Duskmeadow - Tira has a lot of growing up to do. She thinks she can flirt or blast her way through any problem, but I'm not sure she ever thinks of the consequences. I suspect that if shown care and friendship, she will eventually escape the darkness that plagues her and join the rest of the group as herself.

Roleplaying

Tira was born to a human woman who received visits from an 'Elven Prince' from the Feywild. She never met her father or even knows all that much about him, so she's eager to get a guide. She enjoys the feeling of power of being a warlock and adventuring and she's determined to have fun along the way. A cynic at heart, she's more than willing to manipulate people to get whatever she wants and has few morals about lying or breaking a few hearts.

Other Party Members:
Corrin Reedson - Traveling with a paladin is almost like having a perpetual alibi - no one is going to suspect me. I just need to make sure he doesn't figure anything out. Innocent girl routine it is.

Erais the Sunlord - Honestly, he's a bit boring. A lot more than you'd expect someone who called himself 'The Sunlord' to be. He keeps me healed, though, so praise to the light and bring on the sun. Woo.

Fidder Rivers - Honestly, he's adorable and funny, but he's way too much trouble. He's going to steal something and draw attention to my stash. And I swear, if I let him think I'd let him even touch me, he'd be living in my dress in no time.

Kathra Ironforge - You know, I don't think Kathra has a dishonest bone in her, but she's good people. She won't give up a secret, she'll cover your back, and she's good around drinking time.

Riardon Brightvale - Mr. Perfect Fey Elf. He mentioned once about me looking like a Ghaele or Coure or something he knew back in the Feywild. Some day, he'll lead me to my father, and in the meantime just grin and make sure he keeps on thinking he's the prettiest.

Skamos Redmoon - Honestly, he just creeps me out. I know tieflings and devils all happened hundreds of years ago and it doesn't matter now... but I don't think he even realizes what he does with that tail while he's reading. Nasty. Just grin and nod and let him worry about the hypotenuse of who cares compared to the drift rate of so what.

Roleplaying

Skamos Redmoon is a meticulous genius who is generally far more interested in why things are happening and what he can learn or obtain from them, rather than any particular concern for society. Still, it's much easier to work on magic when the orcs and hobgoblins aren't at the gates. Heroes also probably have an easier time obtaining a tower and hanging onto magical artifacts. He has little interest in being the party's representative to all of the people it must deal with, but he's content to know that the party will turn to him whenever they don't understand a situation or find a new magic item. He has a temper which usually manifests when he's been hurt badly or someone criticisizes his choice of spells to prepare.

Other Party Members:
Corrin Reedson - Tactically speaking, he is probably the most useful for keeping myself intact. Therefore, I should always keep him happy. In truth, he's more than a bit thick and seems happy for my guidance.

Erais the Sunlord - While not nearly as gifted as myself, he is a bit of a philosopher and a scholar. Of all the people in the party he's the best for a good debate to pass the time. He does not seem confident enough in his choices and he's readily swayed by the opinions of others, but we all have our flaws.

Fidder Rivers - Fidder is quite interesting. I suspect if told explicitly what to do, he could be immensely useful, but he's far more likely to waste his time on cards, drink, and women. His eyes seem to glaze over when it comes time to planning, so it's best to keep him distracted (Tira does nicely) and let others explain the situation once the best course of action is determined.

Kathra Ironforge - Kathra is a direct individual who has never let down her side of a plan, even if she rarely contributes to the plan itself. She's immensely helpful for keeping pests away from my casting and bashing opponents into areas of my spells. I just let her know what to do, and all will be well.

Riardon Brightvale - Whenever I need something scouted or obtained, Riardon is my man. Indeed, when some pesky kobold is shooting you from afar, I need simply point him out and he'll take care of it. He likes to be part of any plan, which is adorable. It's nice to have someone who is sensible enough to let you lead when it's important.

Tira Duskmeadow - Tira always seems to be up to something. She's too lazy to learn how to really cast spells, so she made bargains with pixies and dryads for power. Anyone who would put their trust in pixies is not someone I'd like to rely on with my life.

Roleplaying

Kathra Ironforge learned early on in life that you can try to suck up to people to make them like you, or you can just let your actions speak for themselves. She likes direct solutions to problems and dislikes wasting time. People invariably find themselves worked up over things that truly do not matter, and wasting hours talking about these things is hours you aren't saving someone's life. Or drinking.

Other Party Members:
Corrin Reedson - He's great. All 'I challenge you for Tymora' and stuff actually fights him. I'd rather 'bash your brains in for Moradin', but whatever gets the job done.

Erais the Sunlord - Rule #1: The priest stays conscious. Conscious priests are priests who heal, and healing means less bleeding to clean out of my armor. It's cute when he goes into melee to help out, but only let him do it when it's safe.

Fidder Rivers - Laugh a minute. Chuck the little squirrel behind the enemy and watch their expressions as he knifes their kidneys. Can't hold his drink and he tries to snuggle a little close once he's drunk, but he knows the rule: 'Use 'em as a pillow and you foot the tab'.

Riardon Brightvale - He's got a bit of a tree stuck up his ass, but boy can he shoot. Zing Zing. Dead gobbos left and right. Hey, nobody's perfect - especially those who think they are.

Skamos Redmoon - Add 'vast magical power', a demonic appearance, and a glass jaw and you get Skamos. I hope he never finds out, but I mark a notch in my shield every time I save his life. I might need to ask him for a new system for once it's too covered to add more.

Tira Duskmeadow - I wish I could get her to drink. She's nice and I think I'm the only one in the group she feels comfortable really talking to, but you can tell she's hurt by not having a father. It's fun to watch her play around with others sometimes, but a couple times at bars I've had to stop a riot. Especially when she wears the red dress.

Final Attack

First Post
I got to say that I am pretty underwhelmed by the damage dealing potential of the Rogue when compared to the Ranger. I'm going to just work it through though.

Ranger at will ability careful strike does damage ~ 4.5(quarry)+5.5(bow)+4(dex)=14

Rogue at will ability deft strike ~ 2.5(dagger)+4(dex)+7(backstab) =13.5

Ok not so bad. Lets see ... Comparing daily powers

Dazzling damage ~ 5(dagger)+4(dex)+7(backstab) = 16 + dazed (50% chance of wearing off each turn)

Split the tree damage ~ 4.5 (quarry)+11(bow)+4(dex) = 19.5 (one target, other recieves 15 damage total damage overall 34.5)

I guess it is a bit of a debate to whether dazed is worth the loss of that extra damage.

Personally I'm a fan of the rogue and I would hate to see someone else overtopping him in the damage department.

keterys

First Post
Careful Strike doesn't add +4(Dex) - it's just 1d10 + 1d8 compared to the rogue's 1d4+2d6+4, which goes against Reflex so is more likely to hit.

In the playtest I ran tonight, the rogue definitely held its own against the ranger. I especially liked how she just didn't care about provoking opportunity attacks and never once got hit anyways.

keterys

First Post
This interview confirms that halflings do not have a speed penalty, so 6 is appropriate.

Also, given plate (+8), shield (+2) and the changed character sheet on WotC's page, I think that halflings don't get a bonus to AC or defense. Possibly not to attack either... do we know what bonus shortswords are to hit? Cause if it's +3, then Corrin doesn't get a +1 from size either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads