D&D (2024) Fighter brainstorm

I think it's safe to say that nobody is expecting or demanding for fighters to have powers equivalent to Wish, Time Stop, Prismatic Wall, or Mass Polymorph.

I'd take that bet. I'm sure that the number of people who would want effects on par with 9th level magic is greater than 1. I've seen examples of carving a mountain with a battle axe, jump miles in a single bound, shout a hole into a wall big enough to walk though and kill a man just by staring at him. The kinds of things that are done by Superman or in Chuck Norris jokes.
I use superman/batman as my go to caster melee/martial melee

i would not mind those feats of strength being something...

as for 9th level spells I don't mean when I say that I want time stop...I mean some level of equlity of choice and power and customization.

IF we had 10 abilities a 17th level fighter could pick from and 1 was carve mountain and 1 was ret con punch (closest I can get to wish, see superboy prime) and 2 other weird anime I don't know powers... but then 6 that were just legendary swordman abilities and you could choose, opt in to the craxy, or not.

my go to is normally half caster... if I made ana baility and said "A 17th level fighter could have this" and it equaled a 5th level spell would people think it was a 'broken' abality?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Paladins, Clerics, and Druids have shield proficiency. Wizards can also get War Caster to be able to use a shield along with spells.

The claim is that "there's nothing a fighter can do that every other class can't." Not every class can use a shield. That one example proves the statement false, which is all that's needed. There are other examples that also support this, but you only need one example proving something false to call it false.

Or are we shifting goalposts again? hard to keep up.
Wizards can also polymorph into something buff. Not to mention if you can rebound a shield like Captain America you can just as easily rebound an Eldritch Blast unless your DM is just obsessed with ol' Cap specifically.
Oh sure, as long as you assume wizards have access to every spell all the time, then sure. But that's not how the game works. Also, Eldritch blast is pure energy. A shield is something physical with mass. I'd imagine anyone with a basic understanding of physics would not "just as easily" allow rebounding eldritch blast.

Incenjucar

Legend
The claim is that "there's nothing a fighter can do that every other class can't." Not every class can use a shield. That one example proves the statement false, which is all that's needed. There are other examples that also support this, but you only need one example proving something false to call it false.

Or are we shifting goalposts again? hard to keep up.

Oh sure, as long as you assume wizards have access to every spell all the time, then sure. But that's not how the game works. Also, Eldritch blast is pure energy. A shield is something physical with mass. I'd imagine anyone with a basic understanding of physics would not "just as easily" allow rebounding eldritch blast.

I'm pretty sure every class in the game can get a shield proficiency. Some of them just have to pay for it and would be better off with something that enhances their abilities better.

Light is pure energy and bounces between objects pretty easily. Not to mention that this is already house ruling, so there's no longer any sort of limit except Mother May I.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm pretty sure every class in the game can get a shield proficiency. Some of them just have to pay for it and would be better off with something that enhances their abilities better.
I'm pretty sure every class can cast spells too, so....what?
Light is pure energy and bounces between objects pretty easily. Not to mention that this is already house ruling, so there's no longer any sort of limit except Mother May I.
Not a house ruling, as I've said there have been guidelines for DMs to follow for decades for these types of situations. I've said this several times but you keep ignoring it for some reason. But I see you're falling back on the red herring argument again, so...

Incenjucar

Legend
I'm pretty sure every class can cast spells too, so....what?

Not a house ruling, as I've said there have been guidelines for DMs to follow for decades for these types of situations. I've said this several times but you keep ignoring it for some reason. But I see you're falling back on the red herring argument again, so...
It's a guideline on how to create house rules. Regardless of what you want to call it, it applies to every class. Monks can bounce against walls like a shield if the DM wills it.

ighters can use any weapon, and use it over and over. Which casters can use all cantrips?
okay this is funy... most fighters have a melee weapon they picked and that;s it... i would say a plurality of them have a ranged one as well... but no fighter is useing axe, sword, mace, staff, chain any more then a wizard is useing all the cantrips... but you know who can now swap them out if you use tahsa;s making all aavlaibul... wizard.

Physics says captian america can't exsist... but we are in a fantasy game, if we are house ruleing (rule of cool and I have 0 issue with it) a shield as a ranged weapon that can bounse and hit multi times we are WELL into where we can bounse an eldritch blast.

Clint_L

Hero
It’s just futile arguing about fighters vs wizards in a thread about brainstorming for OneD&D, is what I’m saying. We aren’t getting any practical suggestions because every fighter thread gets derailed by a few folks whom seem to want to discuss a different game than what 5e is.

At least make concrete proposals that fit within the 5e chassis rather than arguing about what fighters hypothetically could be if 5e was something else. If you think fighters should have a high level ability on part with wish, pitch it as an epic boon or something.

High level fighters are very powerful in gameplay; let’s not pretend otherwise. When you can, baseline, attack 8 times in the first round of combat, you are something to be feared. In fact, I would argue that fighters are powerful at every level; they are one of the most consistent classes in the game. That’s why I proposed a new baseline ability that uses weapon specialization not for more damage but for more tactical opportunities. I think tactical skill with weapons and armour should be the fighter niche, even compared to other melee classes. A student of war kind of thing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's a guideline on how to create house rules. Regardless of what you want to call it, it applies to every class. Monks can bounce against walls like a shield if the DM wills it.
Your false equivalency is noted. There is a significant difference between a fighter wanting to replicate a common maneuver as seen in media with an item they are proficient in, and something we don't see or could be possible in physics. But for the monk, yeah, I'd also absolutely allow the PC monk to leap at a wall (wall walk) and flip off of it in a different direction because that's something that we see in movies a lot. For a wizard? No. Well, I'd allow the attempt, but the difficulty would be so hard it would be near impossible because monks are proficient in things like that and wizards aren't. You know, following the guidelines...

It seems that no matter how many examples I give, or how many things I cite, you're going to refuse to acknowledge them and still rely on your fallacies, so there probably isn't a point in trying to continue. I'll just end by saying the vast majority of players don't agree with your assumptions as evidenced by the surveys and literal decades of play where these issues didn't come up often. What you do with that info is up to you.

Remove ads