D&D (2024) Fighter brainstorm

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
To put this into perspective, one of my favorite old school magic items (despite never actually getting one in all the decades I've played D&D) is the Rod of Lordly Might. This multi-functional item can be a mace +2, a +1 flametongue sword, a +4 battleaxe or lance.

Now in those days, this had meaning. You'd need a mace against some foes, and clay golems were infamously immune to attacks by anything but magical bludgeoning weapons. The battleaxe is likely superior to the sword (flaming just made the weapon have a variable plus against different kinds of foes), but most Fighters use swords. And the lance is just gravy.

But if you gave this to someone today, it would be a battleaxe 99% of the time. Because there's not much reason for it not to be.

So if your greataxe wielding Fighter stumbles across a magic greatsword, you're just going to toss it aside because you only use one weapon: a greataxe?
nope... I would say it depends....

let me give you some examples...

kurt had no magic items but a rapir refluffed as 'elven longsword' he comes across a +1 maul... nope not taking a +1 str two handed weapon over his finesss 1 handed he has

Matt and Joe both have longswords and shields and we come across (in diffrent rooms) during a dungeon a +1 short sword and a +1 sheild... since having a magic weapon helps the party even if it lowers the damage die they decided to keep the items togather and Matt gets them so he can hurt things that need magic and is a bit extra protected... the next set of games we don't get any magic weapons but by level 5ish we come across a holy hammer... it doesn't have a plus but at will you can change from blut damage to radiant damage... that hammer sat unused until we gave it away... by higher level both had magic longswords (I think matt actually had a +3 one at the end)

my barbarian... this one is me as a player I started with a great axe, and game 2 or 3 we found a +2 spear... in this case the world had magic shops so I claimed it and traded it in later for a magic great axe

craftsman +1 short swords... so we had a DM who had a dozen "enemy" stats in a note book and would just reuse them with slight tweeks,,, since his rogue/stalker/assasin (depending on whn thos stats were used) had 1 short sword attached to his/her to hit, we found dozens of +1 short swords... we joked they were mass market craftsman short swords.... we DID have 1 melee character take one, other then that the rest of our melee characters just chose to wait for bigger weapons, and as such we had at least a dozen at one point while people didin't have magic weapons...

my current artificer uses a gun (that never needs reloading and is +2 thanks to an infusion) or my cantrip I call razor webbing (thorn whip refluff) or if close my shock web (lightning lure) but often just punch with my thunder punch (I have two weapon fighting so I can add damage with off hand so I have 3 full attacks)
I am the tank of the party (and thanks to my magical power armor that is fullplate+2 helm of awwarness made of adamantine... I do a pretty good job. We find magic weapons all the time. Since we don't often use weapons we mostly just collect them or give them away.

Have I played characters that NEED to switch, sure it happens, but not often, I mean even random drops of items you can pretty much find what you want.

Sacrosanct

Legend
To put this into perspective, one of my favorite old school magic items (despite never actually getting one in all the decades I've played D&D) is the Rod of Lordly Might. This multi-functional item can be a mace +2, a +1 flametongue sword, a +4 battleaxe or lance.

Now in those days, this had meaning. You'd need a mace against some foes, and clay golems were infamously immune to attacks by anything but magical bludgeoning weapons. The battleaxe is likely superior to the sword (flaming just made the weapon have a variable plus against different kinds of foes), but most Fighters use swords. And the lance is just gravy.

But if you gave this to someone today, it would be a battleaxe 99% of the time. Because there's not much reason for it not to be.
Sure there is. Monsters today still have resistances and immunities. And illustrates a value in the versatility that the fighter has that the cantrip casting wizard doesn't.

"I cast firebolt."
"Ok, the monster is resistant/immune to fire."
"Um...ok. well...."

"I attack with my axe."
"Ok, the monster is resistant/immune to slashing damage."
"Oh, so I break out my warhammer then."

If you are choosing to only use one or two weapons as a counter argument to me using all cantrips as a comparison, then yeah, you're choosing to ignore the rules.
again wizards can swap out for any cantrip... fighters can swapp out for any weapon... EXCEPT a fighter can only deal damage with a weapon, cantrips you can do damage or clean things or send messages or grant a bonus or many other things...

back in 2e that ROD was like the best...

"I attack with my axe."
"Ok, the monster is resistant/immune to slashing damage."
"Oh, so I break out my warhammer then."
what monsters (you can approximate no need to do an exact count if you can get 2 examples and a ball park number) are immune to slashing damage?
(note not nonmagic damage, slashing of any magic or no)

No they can't. A wizard can't swap their cantrips out with others whenever they want, like a fighter can with weapons.

Cantrip Formulas​

At 3rd level, you have scribed a set of arcane formulas in your spellbook that you can use to formulate a cantrip in your mind. Whenever you finish a long rest and consult those formulas in your spellbook, you can replace one wizard cantrip you know with another cantrip from the wizard spell list.

Remove ads