• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighter (Playtest 7)

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
It's their lv18 feature.

Yeah, I know...
What I was getting at is that the way the 18th level ability is worded, it doesn't mention anything about spell level. There's nothing that says it can be more than the cantrip that War Magic mentions at 7th level, nor does it say that it can't be a level 3 (or eventually level 4) spell.

If it wasn't for the change notes mentioning level 1 or 2, I would have had no idea.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I think the design notes show that their original instinct for a Fighter lv18 feature was to nerf it to just lv1 and lv2 spells. At lv18.
If they just made it sacrificing 1 attack per spell level and gave it all to you at 7th level then that would make this sub class more desirable. With how Pact of the blade has changed I don't think we will see many eldritch knights any longer, not that we ever saw that many of them.

If they just made it sacrificing 1 attack per spell level and gave it all to you at 7th level then that would make this sub class more desirable.
They really should. I just want to hit a dude, trigger Push weapon mastery to clump him with his fellows, and Thunderwave them at once.

Instead, I get to just spam Booming Blade every turn... and if I wanted to do that, I'd play Rogue.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I mean, this time around, there's only been one attempt to demote a full caster to a half-caster, the Warlock, and it was roundly rejected.

(Even though it was the least-full-castery full caster to begin with, and it could still theoretically have accessed at least one spell of each spell level a full caster of the same level could, anyway, so it would have been a very full-castery half-caster even if it had stuck around.)

The community has however seriously complained about new broken stuff being added.
I remember the height of 3.5. Outside of the educated optimizer caste of players, average community members thought that the druid, cleric, and wizard were fine but when less powerful stuff came out in splatbooks, people would cry about how overpowered they were. There has to be a name for the phenomenon of thinking that the broken stuff in the core book is balanced and that the less powerful splatbooks stuff is OP.

Remove ads