• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter/Psion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyCool

First Post
Caeleddin said:
Patryn - So long as I don't mention you, please get out and stay out of my threads. I will extend you the same courtesy. The reason being I don't want nor need your arrogant snarkiness. You can reply if I ever mention your name beyond this once to get your attention.

I'm going to echo Taren's comment on this, and add this bit of the SRD.

SRD said:
DISPLAY

When a power is manifested, a display may accompany the primary effect. This secondary effect may be auditory, material, mental, olfactory, or visual.

It seems to me that the primary effect (a ray shooting out from you to your target) is unaffected if you choose to suppress the Auditory Display secondary effect. Would you agree?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
IcyCool said:
I agree. But do you honestly think that if one person isn't having fun, they should ruin everyone else's fun?

Do you honestly think that one PC looking out for number one will ruin everyone else's fun?

IcyCool

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Do you honestly think that one PC looking out for number one will ruin everyone else's fun?

No I do not. And I have never said that I did. Could you answer my question now?

Nail

First Post
Caeleddin said:
Patryn - So long as I don't mention you, please get out and stay out of my threads.
Uhm....WTF!!!!! :confused:

Moreover: In this particular case (setting aside all else), your DM (and Patryn, obviously) was right. The ray is not invisible, and does quite clearly come from your hand. That's not being "snarky", that's following RAW.

Sounds like the hawk had DR. Probably 5/magic (celestial or fiendish template) or 10/adamantine (stoneskin, cast on familiar by wizard). It might have also had some energy resistances.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Caeleddin said:
Patryn - So long as I don't mention you, please get out and stay out of my threads. I will extend you the same courtesy. The reason being I don't want nor need your arrogant snarkiness. You can reply if I ever mention your name beyond this once to get your attention.

Caeleddin, one of the interesting thing about messageboards is that you don't own the thread in the sense that you get to choose who responds. Really, the only privilege of "ownership" is that we allow thread starters to request that a thread gets closed when they are satisfied with how it has run. Note that that does not mean someone else can't start a new thread with the same topic, so long as the previous thread ended amicably.

In short, when you choose to post here, you are opening your thread up to all members of the board. Paetryn's comment was even civil. (See the surprise, since the two of you are generally like oil and water.)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Caeladdin, Patryn:

If you have a problem with one another, it needs to be taken to private e-mail, and off these forums in any case.

Nail said:
Sounds like the hawk had DR. Probably 5/magic (celestial or fiendish template) or 10/adamantine (stoneskin, cast on familiar by wizard). It might have also had some energy resistances.

Sounds more like hawk had DR 50 / DM God Pet.

Its probably part of the "storyline". Like I said before the players here are pointless. This DM is going to tell a story and he will be damned if the players think there is anything they can do to alter that story.

Nail

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Sounds more like hawk had DR 50 / DM God Pet.

Its probably part of the "storyline". Like I said before the players here are pointless. This DM is going to tell a story and he will be damned if the players think there is anything they can do to alter that story.
Sure. Could be. :\

But it also could be a legitimate ability of the hawk or the hawk's master or the hawk's ally. Here's Caeleddin's description again:

Caeleddin said:
Nail - We didn't do much. Did the intro, wandered around. He did a little scene about a stolen sword that will be significant later....(snip).... He did have a hawk attack the party ....(snip).... 2 magical arrows bounced off it ...(snip)... and then it raked one of the newbies for 7 points of damage.
My mistake, the DR couldn't have been X/magic. Given the damage caused, it sounds like the hawk was a medium sized creature, which would bar the "mage's familiar" theory. Perhaps Caeleddin could elaborate? What sort of size and attack roll did it have? What sort of description (if any) did the DM give?

If players pay attention, they can usually glean lots of info about a monster. And thus know something of what they are up against. I think it's obvious to everyone here that the hawk attack is connected to the stolen sword story.

As a complete guess, I'd say the hawk had DR 10/adamantine from a Stoneskin. It's probably not a wildshaped druid, as their magic does NOT provide the appropriate DR. It is possible it's a planar creature too, with DR 10/evil or DR 10/good, or a lycanthrope with DR 10/silver.

Give us more info, man! We're floundering over here! :D :cool:

Caeleddin said:
It was apparently never meant to die because when I said I wanted to blast it out of the sky with an invisible ray of cold, he raised holy Hell.....
It also could be that the DM had a problem with the "invisible ray" part of your rules interp. Most of us here have the same problem. :)

By the way: did you end up damaging it with the ray?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads