• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter Subclass: The Bravura! (INT-based, tactical, non-magical)

Aldarc

Legend
Would you be opposed to giving the Bravura an ability that granted an ally the ability to spend one of their own HD to heal in combat?

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
One thing I always look for in a class/subclass are mechanical elements to interact in non-combat scenarios. I would like to see the bravura have some interesting non-combat abilities. Unfortunately I have no suggestions or examples at the moment.

G

Guest 6801328

Would you be opposed to giving the Bravura an ability that granted an ally the ability to spend one of their own HD to heal in combat?

Not categorically, but I would need some fluff to describe/imagine it that fits the pattern of the Bravura being able to do impressive things himself, and also manipulate monsters, with the goal of setting up situations that players can take advantage of.

The exception to that pattern might be granting a re-roll on Wisdom saving throws to allies, but I'm picturing the Bravura recognizing the spell or its effects and shouting, "Don't give in! It's a fear spell! Think about unicorns!" or whatever. It's words that could have been delivered by anyone, but it takes the Bravura's situational awareness and knowledge of mind-affecting spells* to have the presence of mind to actually do it.

Does that make sense?

*That particular reaction is quite powerful, so maybe it could require an Arcana check vs. 10 + spell level. That would be another use for INT.

EDIT: re: next post, how about "If you use your Action to use a Healer's Kit on a creature, that creature can spend 1 of their HD to regain hit points. A creature can benefit from this ability only once before completing a short rest." Then it's actual ministrations, not Patton yelling at a private.

EDIT 2: Nvm...I understood it right the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

One thing I always look for in a class/subclass are mechanical elements to interact in non-combat scenarios. I would like to see the bravura have some interesting non-combat abilities. Unfortunately I have no suggestions or examples at the moment.

Totally agree, and also failed to think of any. Out-of-combat healing (like a Bard's) could be thematic, or bonuses with healer's kits, but those are combat-related even if they are technically out-of-combat. Exploration/Social would be great.

Let me know if you think of any good ones!

mellored

Legend
Something that does occur to me though - other than 2 weapon fighters, fighters have no real use for bonus actions. None of their abilities use bonus actions - action surge/second wind etc. So, basically, this class is gaining a free "action" with these powers. Not sure if that's a problem, but it is something to consider as well.
Well... nominally the level 3 ability is..

You gain a +5 bonus to intitive.
Gain a reaction ability.
Gain a bonus action ability.

Yea, that's probably too much.
I agree with move trading the "trade bonus action" to level 15 as Elfcrusher suggested.

Polearm mastery allows you to make an AoO when targets move in to your reach.

So you threaten 24 squares around you and can potentially take 4 AoOs in a round at 1st level, when targets move in or out of that 24 square block.
Taking 4 OA's means the bravada loses all his attacks on his turn.

So Bravada with PM can make 3-7 attacks half a round earlier.
And battlemaster with PM can make 3-7 attacks with dice.

Also, I'd forgotten about Sentinel. Sentinel + Polearm mastery + Multiple AoOs per turn means anything that moves within 10 feet of you gets locked down, and any enemy you get next to gets extra locked down because you can AoO enemies even if they Disengage.

Again, not saying this is bad necessarily, just that this is a synergy that needs to be evaluated.
Good combo... let's me evaluate... ;)

You spend 2 feats
you need to hit to immobilize
only 1 chance per movement (assuming 1 unique reaction per turn)
No effect against ranged enemies or casters.
negative synergy with GWM
you can only defend a small area before you run out of movement
it would be fun
fighters should be allowed to have nice things.
=
2 feats to get at-will web. Which is a level 2 spell. Mid level warlocks also get to cast level 2 spells at-will, as do level 18 wizards.

So looks good to me. At least it's worth playtesting.

mellored

Legend
I thought about giving them a custom bonus action for exactly this reason, but it seemed weird to give them something just to make losing it part of game balance.

Ideas?
Just leave it. No other fighter get's bonus actions.

If you can take the attack action on your turn even if you have no attacks left, you can trigger shield master and polearm master's bonuses on your turn.

Agreed.

Something like...
When a creature fails a skill check in which you are proficient, you can use your reaction to give them advantage.

Not categorically, but I would need some fluff to describe/imagine it that fits the pattern of the Bravura being able to do impressive things himself, and also manipulate monsters, with the goal of setting up situations that players can take advantage of.

First Aid:
When an ally takes damage, and you have a healing kit and a free hand, you quickly run over and slap on a bandage before their insides become outsides. They can spend half their maximum hit dice (or any remaining if they have less than half),, and immediately regain those hit points. If the target was reduced to 0 HP, they do not fall down.
If you have 2 free hands, you can maximize the hit die roll.
If you're proficient in medicine skill, you can add half your proficiency bonus to each hit die rolled.

Edit: I rather like the bonus for skill thing, as well as the free hand thing.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Cumulitive Suggestions v4

3:
Trade attacks for extra reactions. Limit 1 unique reaction per turn. Except for "help" and "protection fighting style", which are 1/attack.
*You must take the attack action on your next turn, even if you have no attacks left.
*You can move as part of your reaction, trading away movement.

You gain 2+Int modifier (minimum 1) contingencies you can use as a reaction.
*Contingencies have a 5' reach.
*More powerful if you have free hands.
*Small bonus for matching skill proficiency.

7:
When you take a reaction, you can move 5'/10'/15' without provoking. In addition to your other movement.

10:
Out of combat team buff. Everyone get's advantage in skill checks.

Level 15:
When a creature with 5' of you takes an action, you can expend your action surge to allow them to take a second action. A creature can only benefit from 1 extra action per round.
In addition, you can give up your bonus action on your next turn to take 1 additional reaction.

G

Guest 6801328

Cumulitive Suggestions v4

3:
Trade attacks for extra reactions. Limit 1 unique reaction per turn. Except for "help" and "protection fighting style", which are 1/attack.
*You must take the attack action on your next turn, even if you have no attacks left.
*You can move as part of your reaction, trading away movement.

You gain 2+Int modifier (minimum 1) contingencies you can use as a reaction.
*Contingencies have a 5' reach.
*More powerful if you have free hands.
*Small bonus for matching skill proficiency.

Oh...interesting making the number of contingencies being based on your Int. Clever way to make INT desirable. Trade them in/out at each level? Do you still get more at higher levels?

I don't think all contingencies should have 5' reach, but it should be the default.

Conceptually I like that they get more powerful with free hands, but maybe it's enough to make some of them require one or two free hands.

7:
When you take a reaction, you can move 5'/10'/15' without provoking. In addition to your other movement.

Agree with all of it except the 'without provoking' part. That's starting to feel OP. (They could always take Mobile feat, right?)

Except that without it it means they can't really move around the battlefield, unless they just stay out of combat completely.

Hmmm.

10:
Out of combat team buff. Everyone get's advantage in skill checks.

How about: "When faced with a challenge, whether physical, social, or intellectual, your ability to formulate a plan based on teamwork can help the group succeed. As an action you may grant Advantage on the next ability check to as many allies as your Int modifier, which must be used within the next hour, on the challenge in question. After you use this ability you may not use it again until you have finished a short rest."

Wording is still awkward, but that's the idea.

(By the way, if I were to put a healing ability in it would be in this slot, but I think making a plan is much more appropriate for the concept.)

Level 15:
When a creature with 5' of you takes an action, you can expend your action surge to allow them to take a second action. A creature can only benefit from 1 extra action per round.
In addition, you can give up your bonus action on your next turn to take 1 additional reaction.

Oh, that's really interesting. The Action Surge thing is starting to drift into that zone of "magic but not magic" that makes me leery, but given that Action Surges are a precious and limited resource, I think I'm ok with it. At my table I can always say, "Yeah but Action Surges are actually supernatural, sooo....."

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads