• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting "Mr. T"

awayfarer

First Post
"The tarrasque. Forbidding, aloof, terrifying. The monster with the biggest **** in the world."

Looks like our Worlds Largest Dungeon group will be winding things up in the next few weeks. We'll be going up against the tarrasque before the end and I'm curious what other folks have to say about fighting the bugger. What have your tarrasque-whomping experiences been like?

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
What level are you?

Frankly, my 20th-level PCs found him very under-impressive. He does giant fat quantities of damage and is (pretty much) immune to magic - but if you park two buffed-up tanks in front of him and just whack him while the Cleric keeps you fulled healed, he's a bit of a pushover.

He doesn't really have any special abilities, or variety in his tactics. He just does (admittedly giant heaps of...) damage, and if you can survive it, round-after-round, you win. Make sure your Staff of Life is fully charged first, and take a couple extra scrolls of Wish to make sure the jerk stays down.

If you're not of sufficient level to cast Wish reliably, and / or a Staff of Life is a significant investment for you, and / or your Cleric can't quicken a Heal effect several times a day, and / or the Tarrasque deals enough damage in a full attack to kill one of your primary fighters, and / or you have to fight him down a significant number resources...

...start working on new character concepts. I prefer Paladins, myself. :D

hong

WotC's bitch
Summon lots of shadows. Watch them go to town against the tarrasque's touch AC 5. See them ignore the tarrasque's fear aura and (non-magical) attacks. Blow them up when they're finished.

awayfarer

First Post
EricNoah said:
Wow, I just watched that episode of Flying Circus last night! Small world.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. :)

Maybe I should add a little background info. It's a group of 6 PC's, all roughly lvl 15-16.

lvl 16 orc barbarian
lvl 16 kobold bard
lvl 10/5 human wizard/master of the unseen hand
lvl 10/4 human cleric/combat medic
lvl 4/1/9 changeling rogue/ranger/chameleon
lvl 9 stony half-earth elemental goliath fighter

Bashing it down shouldn't be so bad as we have plenty of buffs available and the barbarian (my character) is a monster with a weapon that ignores DR after the first hit. (Something I didn't learn/realize until last night despite having the thing for the better part of a year. :) )

Does this seem like a group that can do it? Dunno how we're going to manage the wish. I have a suspicion that we may have another method available to dispatching the bugger but it's nothing I'm certain about.

James McMurray

First Post
hong said:
Summon lots of shadows. Watch them go to town against the tarrasque's touch AC 5. See them ignore the tarrasque's fear aura and (non-magical) attacks. Blow them up when they're finished.

The Tarrasque is immune to ability damage. You'll have to use ghosts.

Also, the Tarrasque's attacks count as epic, and therefor magic.

Remove ads