• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting "Mr. T"

ThatGuyThere

Explorer
awayfarer said:
Maybe I should add a little background info. It's a group of 6 PC's, all roughly lvl 15-16.

lvl 16 orc barbarian
lvl 16 kobold bard
lvl 10/5 human wizard/master of the unseen hand
lvl 10/4 human cleric/combat medic
lvl 4/1/9 changeling rogue/ranger/chameleon
lvl 9 stony half-earth elemental goliath fighter

Can the Goliath take a hit? At only 9 HD, unless he's done VERY well for HP (or has an astronomical CON), he's probably T-Kibble. Your Changeling has the same problem, more-or-less. Can either of them actually damage the Tarrasque, through his DR?

Figure your Cleric casts Heal every round. How many rounds of combat can that buy you? Can your Cleric heal five times? Seven? Ten? Then that's how many rounds you have.

Your Wizard gets to watch the fight. Find him something useful to do ahead of time. Ditto your Bard.

So far, this sounds like your chance to shine, Barbarian. I hope you brought the Axe-Polish, because it's going to get all bent-and-scratched on Tarrasque-hide before this is done.

(Note: This is assuming you intend to "play fair". If the DM allows "we're in low-altitude orbit, dropping arrows and heavy rocks, while the ghosts energy drain him", it's of course the much *safer* tactic. Not terribly much fun, though...)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
JVisgaitis said:
You can always fly above him and pelt him with ranged attacks.

I was gonna say...the biggest consensus around here for an anti-Tarrasque strategy is the old "fly 'n' fry" routine.

Mycanid

First Post
Rhun said:
Run Away!!!

'Fraid I agree with this advice.

WHY in the world would you WANT to fight it? I assume the encounter is unavoidable or something like that?

Well ... if all else fails aerial tactics sound good to me. (Now where ARE those flying carpets?)

Of course, if you are in the FR setting, maybe you could get one of those old Netherese flying cities (you DO have three or four in the back room in those portable pocket dimension containers, yes?) and drop the whole thing on it. That'd keep in quiet for a little while. In the meantime you can develop a thorough strategy....

Hmm ... not very helpful.

If that fails ... well, new character concepts might not be a bad idea. I personally prefer the old fighter/thief combo maself....

awayfarer

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
You can always fly above him and pelt him with ranged attacks.

I'm not sure thats going to be an option as we're indoors. Even if there is space above it I imagine we'd still be in range of attacks and that would make it sort of a moot point.

ThatGuyThere said:
Can the Goliath take a hit? At only 9 HD, unless he's done VERY well for HP (or has an astronomical CON), he's probably T-Kibble. Your Changeling has the same problem, more-or-less. Can either of them actually damage the Tarrasque, through his DR?

Figure your Cleric casts Heal every round. How many rounds of combat can that buy you? Can your Cleric heal five times? Seven? Ten? Then that's how many rounds you have.

Your Wizard gets to watch the fight. Find him something useful to do ahead of time. Ditto your Bard.

So far, this sounds like your chance to shine, Barbarian. I hope you brought the Axe-Polish, because it's going to get all bent-and-scratched on Tarrasque-hide before this is done.

(Note: This is assuming you intend to "play fair". If the DM allows "we're in low-altitude orbit, dropping arrows and heavy rocks, while the ghosts energy drain him", it's of course the much *safer* tactic. Not terribly much fun, though...)

IIRC the goliath has something like 30 con. She can take a hit but I'm not fully certain how well she can dispense damage with only a +9 bab. The bard will be doing what she does best; buffing. I'm guessing the wizard will be in the same boat. Not sure what the changeling chameleon is going to do. If she can rage (With the chamelon class-feature mimic thingamajig) she might be able to do a decent bit of damage, although I think toe-to-toe isn't that character's strong suit.

I think the cleric has some sort of ability to spontaneously cast heal. We should be alright in that regard, at least for a while.

The intelligent axe isn't going to like being bent and scratched. :D

Presto2112

Explorer
Hitting it with a big pile of swarms might be a tactic, too. They hit automatically and the tarrasque can't do a thing against quite a number of them. If you had a warlock with the Dark Discorporation invocation it'd be nice, too. It himself he won't do enough damage by himself to hurt it, but as supplemental damage it definitely wouldn't go astray.

Mycanid

First Post
awayfarer said:
I'm not sure thats going to be an option as we're indoors. Even if there is space above it I imagine we'd still be in range of attacks and that would make it sort of a moot point.

I was wondering about that. Bummer. So much for the aerial thingee.

awayfarer said:
I think the cleric has some sort of ability to spontaneously cast heal. We should be alright in that regard, at least for a while.

Well that's a help at least. :)

Crothian

First Post
When my group fought him in the WLD they could not over come the regeneration and DR to wear him down. But they could fly and get away from him pretty easily so there was little fear of getting killed by him. Basically after the demon hoard was unleashed they positioned Mr T to fight and kill any of the demons. They buffed up Mr T and healed him and served as his support.

sukael

First Post
Crothian said:
When my group fought him in the WLD they could not over come the regeneration and DR to wear him down. But they could fly and get away from him pretty easily so there was little fear of getting killed by him. Basically after the demon hoard was unleashed they positioned Mr T to fight and kill any of the demons. They buffed up Mr T and healed him and served as his support.

Now there's a good idea.

Can the party's chameleon get Wild Empathy or the like? If so, try and boost that as high as possible... see if you can make friends with the beastie instead of killing it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads