• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting "Mr. T"

ruleslawyer

James McMurray said:
The Tarrasque is immune to ability damage. You'll have to use ghosts.

Also, the Tarrasque's attacks count as epic, and therefor magic.
Wraiths.

The tarrasque still has a 50% miss chance against them. Also, you can probably summon a bucketload of them by 20th level.

Seriously, anything that causes Con drain is your friend.

There's no way to get to a space big enough that he can't get at you if you're flying?

Stalker0

Legend
How effective is the ranged weapon tactic? Doesn't Big T reflect 30% of arrows, meaning your going to do more damage to yourself than him? And it may be one of those cases where you actually have to consider numbers of arrows:)

Kelleris

Explorer
ruleslawyer said:
Wraiths.

The tarrasque still has a 50% miss chance against them. Also, you can probably summon a bucketload of them by 20th level.

Seriously, anything that causes Con drain is your friend.

Except that a wraith's Con drain has a Fortitude save to negate it - better hope you have a seriously ridiculous number of wraiths, because it's gonna take a lot of hits to overcome the Tarrasque's +38 Fortitude save and 35 Constitution before he can kill all of them with his epic-and-so-counts-as-magic-too natural attacks.

The suggestion of ghosts with the draining touch ability is probably the best option, but there's no easy way that I know of to summon or control ghosts...

I actually thought it was immune to ability drain as well as damage, myself. Personally, were I DMing, I would interpret the Tarraque's immunity to attacks that produce incurable wounds to include ability drain, though I'd give the players a heads-up if they looked like they were planning something along those lines and had someone in the party who would actually know in-character about the Tarrasque's abilities.

James McMurray

First Post
Ghosts can also target intelligence, and drop him in one hit (or 3 at worst).

Summoning them could be done via the Dragonlance line of Summon Undead spells, which can let you get a swarm of ghost leopards with 5 attacks each when pouncing. That's probably not an option for the current party makeup.

If anyone has a way to make rays into touch spells Greater Curse to drop his strength to 1 and then Ray of Enfeeblement to put an enhancement penalty on it could work too.

How effective is the ranged weapon tactic? Doesn't Big T reflect 30% of arrows, meaning your going to do more damage to yourself than him? And it may be one of those cases where you actually have to consider numbers of arrows

His carapace only reflects magic, not physical attacks.

Sejs

First Post
Catch him sleeping.

Assay Resistance, Plane Shift to the Positive Energy Plane and pray hard he blows his will save.

Have someone who can Plane Shift, use a pawn sacrifice (summoned creatures possibly) or use some telekinesis to cruise up to Big T and set off an Astral Suicide Harness: stuff a portable hole into a bag of holding.

ruleslawyer

Kelleris said:
Except that a wraith's Con drain has a Fortitude save to negate it - better hope you have a seriously ridiculous number of wraiths, because it's gonna take a lot of hits to overcome the Tarrasque's +38 Fortitude save and 35 Constitution before he can kill all of them with his epic-and-so-counts-as-magic-too natural attacks.
True, but if the tarrasque is trying to kill them, he's ignoring the party. Once he's down (ie takes nonlethal damage equal to his hp +1), he isn't allowed to make those saves, IIRC.

There's a bunch of non-core stuff that can take Big T down pretty easily, but assuming you don't have access to that stuff, just maze him and leave. Fight him somewhere you can fly, and you'll be fine.

awayfarer

First Post
A few things to note here: First, we're likely going to be in the 15-16 level range when we tangle with the tarrasque, so anything available to characters above those levels is out. Secondly, our wizard has five levels in a prc that does not increase caster levels. Even if we did somehow end up at level 20, he's gonna be a lvl 15 wizard tops. In other words, we only have access to 5th level spells, and could only get 8th tops (which isn't likely to happen).

We cannot leave the dungeon for any reason and planar travel doesn't function. Basically we have whatever equipment we're going to have.

Sejs

First Post
awayfarer said:
A few things to note here: First, we're likely going to be in the 15-16 level range when we tangle with the tarrasque, so anything available to characters above those levels is out. Secondly, our wizard has five levels in a prc that does not increase caster levels. Even if we did somehow end up at level 20, he's gonna be a lvl 15 wizard tops. In other words, we only have access to 5th level spells, and could only get 8th tops (which isn't likely to happen).
Lost five caster levels?

...ouch.

We cannot leave the dungeon for any reason and planar travel doesn't function. Basically we have whatever equipment we're going to have.

8ballanswer.gif

Warren Okuma

First Post
Okay. Forget the "T" right now. Retrace your steps and re-explore the areas you went and look for other leads to level up. Then go and get it after getting one or two levels. Trust me you need it.

Fishbone

First Post
awayfarer said:
"The tarrasque. Forbidding, aloof, terrifying. The monster with the biggest **** in the world."

Looks like our Worlds Largest Dungeon group will be winding things up in the next few weeks. We'll be going up against the tarrasque before the end and I'm curious what other folks have to say about fighting the bugger. What have your tarrasque-whomping experiences been like?
I wonder what that blanked out word is? Dick? Cock?
I've never fought a Tarrasque but it is on my to do list.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads