Fighting the Gray Tide (Miniature Painting)

MGibster

Legend
These may be an excellent example of models which would look way more finished with a bit of basing material and color. Maybe a little static grass. I know you just wanted to bang these out, but that could be worth an extra hour.
Oh, yeah. Basing a model always makes them look a bit more complete. I just haven't figure out how I want to base these guys. I've got a few models in the range that are based, like the one below, but I'm not sure if I want to continue with the same theme.

Yndrasta.JPG

MGibster

Legend
So this is a Canoptek Wraith, part of the Necron range for Warhammer 40k. I decided to give a little object source lighting (OSL) a shot on its back, eh, it's okay. I used my fancy new airbrush I purchased a few months ago for the OSL. I need some more practice, but I'm pretty happy overall.

Canoptek Wraith_2.JPG

Canoptek Wraith_1.JPG

Mad_Jack

Legend
Progress!

Attached the back piece of my shadowbox... Now I need to clean up the glue around the edges, grind off some excess wood on a few pieces and a couple nails sticking out, and sand it again.
You can see where I've got the lines for the shelves traced out on the back, and the notches for the shelves cut into the vertical supports. The shelf with Sir Forscale on it isn't permanently attached, it's just there to show that I'm leaving a large space in the upper right corner for some taller figures - the one below it will go all the way across.

The obligatory middle-of-the-project it-looks-like-crap-so-I-must-be-making-progress shot...

shelfprogress120230111_222730.jpg

MGibster

Legend
The shelf with Sir Forscale on it isn't permanently attached, it's just there to show that I'm leaving a large space in the upper right corner for some taller figures - the one below it will go all the way across.
I can only surmise that Sir Forscale is in charge of this project.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I can only surmise that Sir Forscale is in charge of this project.

Nah, if he was, it'd be getting done faster, lol. I suppose I could put a whip in his hand and call him Sir Foreman...

Are you familiar with the Sir Forscale painting competition that Reaper Miniatures did for their Bones 3 Kickstarter? Since they used to use 77008: Garrick the Bold as their scale comparison figure in their photos ("figure for scale only", thus Sir Forscale), they decided that they wanted to get some variety in their pics for the KS and held a contest on their forum - over fifty Sir Forscales were painted (and sometimes modified) and sent in to Reaper, and a bunch of them were used in the scale photos of the figures from the KS... :cool:

I ended up getting a $25 gift certificate for Sir Futurescale (a tribute to DC Comics' Adam Strange) and he was used in Update # 87 in a photo with the space mouselings...

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I've actually managed to defeat the grey tide twice - once about 20 years ago when I found mysefl between jobs (waiting for a clearance to come through), and then a few years later when I made the mistake of buying another 50ish minis for a game I never actually played.

A couple of things to consider: is your goal to get all the minis painted, or to get them painted well? Because the approach I'd take in each case is somewhat different (my goal was to get them all painted).

Either way, my first piece of advice is that you really must stop buying new minis until the old are done. Or, if you absolutely can't bear that, you need a hard-hearted clear-out of the minis you aren't ever going to get to.

Secondly, I agree with the advice to get organised. In my case that meant grouping a lot of the minis into large bands of 'similar' figures - the ones that would make up a coherent unit. (The special minis were then handled separately, but there were far fewer of those.)

And thirdly, you need to be consistent in allocating time - ideally, a bit of time every day, but failing that block off some fixed times for painting and try really hard to stick to those.

Once I'd done that, it was a case of dealing with the minis a block at a time, working through the layers one by one and just getting it done. I'd tackle one of the large blocks and then handle a couple of 'specials' as a palate cleanser, and then back to it.

But, again, the end result was functional, rather that spectacular - even for the 'specials'.

Oh, and once I was done I promised myself never again. Thus far, I've kept that promise the second time...

MGibster

Legend
A couple of things to consider: is your goal to get all the minis painted, or to get them painted well? Because the approach I'd take in each case is somewhat different (my goal was to get them all painted).
I try to set realistic goals, and painting every unpainted miniature I have is unrealistic. My main goal is to put a dent in the tide, perhaps turning it into a tidepool instead of whole tide. As far as the quality of my painting goes, it depends on the subject. For hordes of miniatures, like the zombies I posted, I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time trying to make them look great. There's so many of them, just having a big block of painted zombies on the table is impressive enough. For others, like my Chaos Knights for Warhammer 40k, I'll take my time and paint them to the best quality I can.

Either way, my first piece of advice is that you really must stop buying new minis until the old are done. Or, if you absolutely can't bear that, you need a hard-hearted clear-out of the minis you aren't ever going to get to.
I'm back to the realistic goal! My goal is to slow down the rate I purchase miniatures and I ask myself the following questions: Do I need this miniature for a game any time soon? Is there a compelling reason for me to purchase this miniature now? If the answers are no, then I don't purchase. My LGS had a 50% off sale that included a lot of models I knew I wanted, the Silent King was $80 instead of the normal $160, so I went ahead and made the purchase. Lucky for me, my level of collection isn't pathalogical. I'm not running out of space or spending more money than I have.

And thirdly, you need to be consistent in allocating time - ideally, a bit of time every day, but failing that block off some fixed times for painting and try really hard to stick to those.
I allocate time in the evening, but I don't ever push myself. If I'm ever at the point where I don't feel like painting, I don't paint. The idea is that it should never be a chore or an obligation, but something I look forward to.

Oh, and once I was done I promised myself never again. Thus far, I've kept that promise the second time...
I expect I'll always have some unpainted miniatures. I just want to work on it before it becomes a problem.

Ryujin

Legend
I just received a batch of ElfQuest minis from their audio movie Kickstarter and not sure that I'll even paint them. It's been decades since I last lifted a brush and I wouldn't want to mess them up.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I just received a batch of ElfQuest minis from their audio movie Kickstarter and not sure that I'll even paint them. It's been decades since I last lifted a brush and I wouldn't want to mess them up.
I hadn't heard about these! The 3D models on the Kickstarter page look pretty sweet.

Yeah, I can see how they'd be intimidating. To do Wendy's characters justice I'd want to really nail the colors and skin tones.

Ryujin

Legend
I hadn't heard about these! The 3D models on the Kickstarter page look pretty sweet.

Yeah, I can see how they'd be intimidating. To do Wendy's characters justice I'd want to really nail the colors and skin tones.
I had to break out the superglue for a couple of them. They're resins, not tins, and the postal service wasn't very gentle with the box.

Edit - You can't really make out the last because of the reflected light, but it's Greymung with his throne and a base.

20230112_151611.jpg

Remove ads