MGibster's Big Bad Thread of Big Bad Miniatures 2024

MGibster

Legend
I had a lot of fun with the Fighting the Gray Tide thread I started in December 2022 and I appreciate everyone who participated in it throughout the year. It was nice to have an overhwhelmingly positive thread without the necessity of a + and it reinforced my belief that no matter the skill level of the painter, a painted miniature is always better than an unpainted miniature. But I’m going to change my focus for 2024, so I think it behooves me to start a new thread. I’ve got some new goals for next year.

Fighting the Gray Tide Part 2: The Electric Boogaloo

I still have a lot of unpainted miniatures, some of which I’ve had for roughly twenty years! I will continue to limit the number of miniatures I purchase in 2024 as I work to complete half-finished projects and not only start new ones but complete them.

It’s my right to live in a pigsty if I want!

Anytime you’re working with various tools and small parts, it’s important to keep your work area clean and organized. I’m terrible at keeping my work area clean and organized. Picture here is my work area which is neither clean nor organized. When was the last time I used my work area? I don’t think I used it at all in 2023, I used my computer desk. My plan is to get this mess cleaned up to give myself more room to work with. (Incidentally this is one of my work areas. I have a separate area for airbrushing.)

IMG_2045.jpeg

Go big or go home, cowboy!

Last year I gave a lot of thought into what I enjoy painting the most. One of the most fun projects I had this year was the flail snail which I bought on a Saturday and had it completed by Monday which is a very fast turnaround. Why was it so fun? Well, the novelty for one. It was the first snail I had ever painted. But last year I found some of the more enjoyable models I painted were the larger ones. They were still 28mm scale, but large creatures and vehicles provided me with the most satisfaction. There are a few big projects I intend to finish in 2024 including the Gargantuan Red Dragon from WizKids, some giants from Games Workshop, and a few other surprises coming along.

But I’d also like to finish the armies I’ve started. This can get rather repetitious, but I’m in no hurry so I can afford to take things as a reasonable pace and paint things in small batches. But this means finishing what Imperial Guard models I own, some Necrons, and the rest of my Zombicide: Undead or Alive miniatures (which I had fun painting in 2023).

IMG_2044.jpeg

Paint Bravely

I’m setting a goal for myself to improve my painting skills. At this point I should really be able to paint eyes on miniatures, but it’s a step I most often skip. In addition to eyes, I’d like to get better at painting smoother blends with my flesh colors, more interesting metallics, and better weathering effects. I don’t ever expect to be an award winning painter, but I’d like to paint something worthy of a display pieces rather than good tabletop gaming quality. It can be a little scary trying new things. I've got a Wizkids bear around here that looks absolutely terrible because I tried to do something with the fur that did not work out at all. But you know what? A little L.A.'s Awesome will clean away just about any mistake.

Does anyone have any painting goals of their own this year?

Scottius

Adventurer
I'm planning on combatting my own grey tide in the coming year. I don't have anything near twenty years old as I only started painting and collecting again back in 2020 but I still have quite a bit of unpainted material I want to get to.

In particular I want to start on my Cyberpunk Red Combat Zone minis which I have begun cleaning & prepping and my massive amount of Dungneon & Lazers terrain/minis.

This year my proudest achievement in mini painting was finishing miniatures for all the PCs in my gaming group for my DCC RPG campaign while the game was still ongoing. :D

MGibster

Legend
In particular I want to start on my Cyberpunk Red Combat Zone minis which I have begun cleaning & prepping and my massive amount of Dungneon & Lazers terrain/minis.
I have a few of those combat zone miniatures. Mainly police officers, a police dog, and a police detective. They're pretty good miniatures. They look great and are fun to paint.

MGibster

Legend
And here’s an Institute scientist from Fallout Wasteland Warfare. This is of course based off the video game Fallout 4.

IMG_2048.jpeg

I won't lie, painting miniatures that are based of things that have some representation through other media can be a bit daunting. Here's what an Institute scientist looks like in Fallout 4.

Institue Scientist.JPG

Wasteland Warrior is not nearly so popular as Warhammer 40k, so finding a painting guide for some of the factions is no small task. I found one guide on YouTube for the Institute scientist, but his color choice was a deep, deep blue and didn't at all come close to matching the colors we see in the game. His looked fine, but I was striving for something a bit closer to what we see in the game. Mine's a bit bright, but I'm happy with it. I believe this is the first time I've gone off the grid and tried to match what I saw without either a tutorial or a color guide.

I've got some Synths to paint, and again there aren't any good tutorials that I can find. After doing a little research, I discovered the Synths don't have metallic skeletons like you might expect from a Terminator but are instead a dark grey color. We'll see how that goes next.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Man, I so miss minis and terrain. Due to working overseas and traveling more often than I'm home, I've been running games on a VTT for years and I have so many gray, unpainted Reaper minis stuffed away in storage. I think mini painting may have to wait until retirement.

My friends and I were really into Warhammer 40,000 in the '80s. I got to be quite good with dry brushing, washes, blends...but the detailing always killed me. Especially flags, standards, vehicle detailing, etc. But my poor artistry worked really well with space orcs (I believe they call them "orks" now). My friend who was a quite good artist in a variety of media, used to have me paint his space orcs because he could never get the good bad artistic look I did due to my poor but earnest attempts. I even won some miniature painting awards at the local hobby shop. I really made my lack of skill work for me with the space orcs.

Did some mini painting when I got back into TTRPGs with 5e, but with work and family, I never have the time.

MGibster

Legend
I’m laying the groundwork for a new project. This is a resin model, and since it’s $155, I went ahead and washed it to get rid of any mold release residue. Given its size, I will paint this in subsections prior to assembly.
I’ve been waiting about three years for this to come back for sale!

GW models for scale. One small giant and an Imperial commissar.

IMG_2051.jpeg

pogre

Legend
I plan on buying a massive amount of Old World this coming year. My pile of shame/gray/opportunity will grow substantially! I'm in no rush to paint it, just get it while it's out. I'm hoping the game is solid, but that's not a deal breaker for me - we have plenty of home rules that I like.

My goals for improving painting are just to find new ways to do a decent job with my Parkinson's. I have slowed way down when I do paint and the quality has been frustrating. I recently have played around more with my airbrush and that does have some possibilities. The batch painted soldiers I have been doing lately are certainly a solid tabletop standard and look great in formation.

I have got to slow down on terrain. I have a big game room, but terrain is piling up!

I look forward to following your new thread with interest!

MGibster

Legend
plan on buying a massive amount of Old World this coming year. My pile of shame/gray/opportunity will grow substantially! I'm in no rush to paint it, just get it while it's out. I'm hoping the game is solid, but that's not a deal breaker for me - we have plenty of home rules that I like.
I get really impatient when I have 80% of the painting done but still have the 20% of tedious detail work to be done. I try to take a break when I feel like being lazy and just wrapping things up ASAP.

My goals for improving painting are just to find new ways to do a decent job with my Parkinson's. I have slowed way down when I do paint and the quality has been frustrating. I recently have played around more with my airbrush and that does have some possibilities. The batch painted soldiers I have been doing lately are certainly a solid tabletop standard and look great in formation.
I was watching a YouTuber who has MS, maybe MS_Paints, and he mentioned in one video that he's using his airbrush at every opportunity when it saves him time and makes his life easier. I've reached the point in my life where I have to put on reading glasses when working some of the finer details on a miniature and I'm starting to wonder how much longer I'll be able to paint. I'm glad you're still able to enjoy painting.

Remove ads