MGibster's Big Bad Thread of Big Bad Miniatures 2024

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I get really impatient when I have 80% of the painting done but still have the 20% of tedious detail work to be done. I try to take a break when I feel like being lazy and just wrapping things up ASAP.
Trying to improve my detail work. My old man eyes make it very difficult...
I was watching a YouTuber who has MS, maybe MS_Paints, and he mentioned in one video that he's using his airbrush at every opportunity when it saves him time and makes his life easier. I've reached the point in my life where I have to put on reading glasses when working some of the finer details on a miniature and I'm starting to wonder how much longer I'll be able to paint. I'm glad you're still able to enjoy painting.

MGibster

Legend
And here’s the Institute starter set from Modiphius finished. I had way more fun painting these miniatures than I would have believed. It was fun flying blind trying to match the colors of the miniatures with what was in the video game. I certainly didn't achieve 100% results, but close enough for my satisfaction.

IMG_2056.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
For a change of pace, a 1/24 scale dinosaur. I’ve owned this for about two years and decided it was high time to get this done. I started out with a nice base coat of Citadel Zandri Desert and then on the upper a coat of Army Painter Fire Lizard. I should have used something that would provide a bit more contrast because you can't really tell a difference in the finished product.

I ended up using inks for the additional skin colorations and patterns with burnt sienna and sepia. I'm very happy with the horns, and consider this the only decent looking set of horns I ever painted. I started out with a base of Army Painter Skeleton Bone and applied burnt sienna/black ink at the base of the horn, then burnt sienna, and then a wash made from Army Painter Sand Golen Speed Paint. I'm pretty happy with this, but I think if I spent more time with the colors I could have done a better job. This model is so heavy and large it's hard to work with. (There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm too classy to say it.)

IMG_2058.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
When is enough, enough? Or when do you decide to quit while you're ahead? This is a Gunner in Power Armor from the Fallout: Wasteland Warrior table top wargame. I started off with a black primer and a zenithal highlight in light grey.

1. Base - Army Painter Cultist Robes
2. Layer - Army Painter Army Green
3. Wash - Vallejo Model Wash for Green Vehicles
4. Highlight/Weathering - Citadel Paints Leadbelcher
5. Weathering - Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia (two coats)

Gunner Power Armor.JPG

While I'm completely happy with how the armor looks right now, I contemplated adding some more weathering with Leadbelcher and following that up with another coating of Sepia wash. But what if I mess it up? It looks great now, but would more tinkering improve it or make things worse? Even if it improves the look, is it worth the effort? At what point do I start getting diminished returns on the effort I put in?

I don't think there's any right answer here. I'm going to call the armor done at this point so I can finish the other details and move on to other projects.

MGibster

Legend
And I decided he was finished. I'm having a lot of fun with these Fallout: Wasteland Warfare miniatures for some reason. It probably doens't hurt that I love the game so much. But another part is that there aren't a whole lot of painting guides for the figures, and it's kind of fun looking up references and doing my best to match them.

Gunner Power Armor_Done.JPG

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I shared these images elsewhere but this is what my 2023 came out looking like compared to my 2022.

mini-painting-totals-23.jpg
mini-painting-graph.jpg

I started my effort to paint all my remaining unpainted minis in January 2022 in preparation for the arrival of two things my daughter and (the ultimately salvageable but disappointing) Next Level Minis KS fulfillment both in September of that year. The KS was not fulfilled until early 2023 so that became irrelevant but added to rhythm I had going by the time they arrived.

In 2024, I don't have a set plan. I have very few unpainted minis left (and most of them I am not excited about and would be totally down to do a mini exchange or giveaway) and no plans to purchase more than what I happen to need for specific upcoming games if a substitute will not do. I may, however, spend more time this year building more terrain. I recently did a set of ogre caves and a hillside.

419910771_1168541894115512_7782182433474966530_n.jpg

419294132_1403101827287105_7000534011459833031_n.jpg412202053_1867848980315153_437960815573647338_n.jpg419661413_377408444882329_3564542872506424319_n.jpg419591714_1327264177938190_2502643745659135000_n.jpg

Remove ads