D&D General Filling the Gaps

Samloyal23

Adventurer
What are some things you can do in real life that you think should be accounted for in the rules but are missing from the game? What do you see as gaps in the simulation that take you out of the immersion of gameplay, things there should be rules for but aren't?

Dioltach

Legend
Yeah, I'm always bothered when a setting suffers from eternal stagnation. Even settings where prior civilizations are lying in ruins and former progress is evident, it's rare to have the players really contribute to that progress in a meaningful way.
In my experience the PCs usually contribute a great deal to civilizations lying in ruins. Civilizations tend to stagnate if they suffer recurring bouts of violent PCs.

OK, so you would add this on top of your AC? So plate with sword and shield would be AC 18+2 + 5 = 25? Seems a bit high at first glance

EDIT: on second thought I would just lower starting ac to compensate. So AC 5 is base. That makes commoners more squishy, which works for me. I like it.
NO, you have 12+str OR whatever your armor gives you. Take the better.

Hmm. I don't like that. Why sacrifice mechanical weight to armor for mechanical weight to weapons when you could have both?

But thank you inspiring me to come up with a system I do like!
I didn't want to need to change anything outside of the rule - a blended rule would require changing everything's AC, which I'd rather not do.

If that's not a hurdle for you, then of course something blended/additive would make more sense.

dave2008

Legend
I didn't want to need to change anything outside of the rule - a blended rule would require changing everything's AC, which I'd rather not do.

If that's not a hurdle for you, then of course something blended/additive would make more sense.
The only thing I would need to change is the starting / base AC of the players, Everything else stays the same. from the DM side I don't need to change anything

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I would not give a weapon's full ability bonus to defense all the time. Maybe half your ability modifier when fighting with your weapon normally, but you get the full ability modifier only when you take the Dodge action?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I would not give a weapon's full ability bonus to defense all the time. Maybe half your ability modifier when fighting with your weapon normally, but you get the full ability modifier only when you take the Dodge action?
Simple: you have to commit at the start of the round as to whether you're attacking or parrying that round. Parrying gets the weapon's AC benefit. Attacking does not.

Remove ads