• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finalized Hybrid Rules - What's new?

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I know that the OP didn't ask this, but after a review I have to say that "hybrid character X" has just become my new least-favorite class. It would be better if you could take Hybrid Talent more than once, but as it is I'd much rather have a full set of features from one class than 30% of a full set from two different classes.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm a big fan of the hybrid rules. I think it better represents true "multiclassing" as opposed to teh class dipping that is normal 4e multiclassing. Regular multiclassing is fine, but for people who want a true mix hybrid is teh way to go.

My biggest beef with hybrid is that the AC rules don't mess too well with certain class combinations. Often times you can use hybrid talent to make up for that, but then you are missing out on the whole point of hybriding imo.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Unless this was included (and I have never heard it was) Hybrid needs a better way to allow different ability scores to mesh in a character. If the character is all Int or Str, Hybrid sounds easy to do, but with different ability scores it is a problem.

But I'm looking forward to seeing it once it comes into print, as I have always been a fan of multi-classing, even all the way back to 2E.

And yes, I assume there will be several overpowered choices. Such is D&D.

DracoSuave

First Post
Unless this was included (and I have never heard it was) Hybrid needs a better way to allow different ability scores to mesh in a character. If the character is all Int or Str, Hybrid sounds easy to do, but with different ability scores it is a problem.

You have two different attributes that you can raise up.

And you have two different primary attributes if you have different classes.

You might not be able to milk the secondaries of both classes, but the primaries are inherently covered.

Hybrid armor rules are really strange. I believe they should have gone with heavy - light - none (cloth) instead of checking each specific armor.

As it stands, paladin plate armor proficiency is worth nothing because no other class has it. A fighter/cleric could have scale this way etc...

I don´t think it breaks anything. A different option would be to make hybrid talent free... right now its a tax. (You need it to be about on par with a regular class)

Stuntman

First Post
I noticed one big change. You used to have to balance an equal number of at will, encounter, utility and daily powers (+ or -1) from both classes. Now you just need to have at least one power from each class in each category (when you have more than one).
This hasn't changed. It's always been that way. If you have two or more powers of the same type, at least one must be from one hybrid class and the other must be from the other. If you want to take any type of power swap feat like the skill powers, MC powers or familar powers, you need to have 3 powers of that type before you can actually swap. This means that you cannot swap an encounter power until level 7, daily until level 9 and utility until level 10. You also cannot swap out an at-will (via paragon multiclassing) unless you are human.

DracoSuave

First Post
I noticed one big change. You used to have to balance an equal number of at will, encounter, utility and daily powers (+ or -1) from both classes. Now you just need to have at least one power from each class in each category (when you have more than one).

Well....

With utility powers, it makes a bit of a difference, admittedly...

But given you only have 2-3 at-wills, 3 encounter powers, and 3 daily powers from your classes your entire carreer, really.... it amounts to the same thing.

SunRaven01

First Post
I don't think I'm understanding the Hybrid talent feat correctly, with regards to Hybrid Warlocks.

eldritch Pact (Hybrid): This class feature func- tions as the warlock class feature (Player’s Handbook,
page 130), except that you don’t gain the at-will attack power or the Pact Boon granted by it. This means you meet prerequisites that require the pact you choose, and you can use the benefits tailored for it in certain powers.

Okay, so far so good.

Then you get the Hybrid Talent Feat:
Hybrid Talent Options
If you take the Hybrid Talent feat, you can select one of the following options.
Prime Shot: This class feature functions exactly as the warlock class feature (Player’s Handbook, page 131).
Shadow Walk: This class feature functions exactly as the warlock class feature (Player’s Hand- book, page 131).
Warlock Pact Boon: You gain the Pact Boon associated with your Eldritch Pact.
To select this option, you must have selected the at-will attack power associated with your pact. If you later retrain that power, you lose the benefit of this option.

Okay, so ... if Eldritch Pact (hybrid) specifically does not grant you the at-will power, and nothing in Hybrid Talent Feat grants the at-will power, then ... how do you qualify for Warlock Pact Boon under Hybrid talent options?

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what it is, since I'm very new to 4E.

tiornys

Explorer
I don't think I'm understanding the Hybrid talent feat correctly, with regards to Hybrid Warlocks.

Okay, so far so good.

Then you get the Hybrid Talent Feat:

Okay, so ... if Eldritch Pact (hybrid) specifically does not grant you the at-will power, and nothing in Hybrid Talent Feat grants the at-will power, then ... how do you qualify for Warlock Pact Boon under Hybrid talent options?

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what it is, since I'm very new to 4E.
You pick a Warlock at-will attack power as one of the two at-will attack powers you know as a hybrid character. To qualify for the Warlock Pact Boon, the at-will power you pick must be the one associated with your pact (and not, say, Eldritch Blast).

t~

Destil

Explorer

Because you choose any warlock at-will as one of your two hybrid options.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads