D&D 4E Finally, a playtest reporting there are good things from 4e in Next!!

Agamon

Adventurer
I like the whole "less waiting for your turn, more being involved in paying attention all the time" idea. While I'm not sure how that works, I applaud that result!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Nice, good read. This is what I hope for out of 5e. :)

On a side note, a 4e wizard charging 6 orcs with battle axes would likely be dead in a round. 4e PCs start out a bit more robust than ones from earlier editions, but not that robust!

nightwalker450

First Post
I like the whole "less waiting for your turn, more being involved in paying attention all the time" idea. While I'm not sure how that works, I applaud that result!

Paying attention all the time comes partly from opposed saving throws. Instead of the DM just knowing your defenses, you have to roll a saving throw.

Kynn

Adventurer
Nice, good read. This is what I hope for out of 5e. :)

On a side note, a 4e wizard charging 6 orcs with battle axes would likely be dead in a round. 4e PCs start out a bit more robust than ones from earlier editions, but not that robust!

Yeah, most orcs in 4e are level 3 at least: the "Battletested Orc" from Monster Vault being typical, but even the "broken math" Orc Raiders from Monster Manual (1) are level 3. With a +8 attack bonus against the wizard's 15 AC, we're looking at 4 hitting for a total of 4d12+12 damage -- easily more than the wizard's 20-24 hit points, with an average of 38 damage.

Ouch, dead wizard.

the Jester

Legend
Paying attention all the time comes partly from opposed saving throws. Instead of the DM just knowing your defenses, you have to roll a saving throw.

[MENTION=94895]nightwalker450[/MENTION], is this something you know or something that you have deduced, inferred or assumed? Did you get to playtest?

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Like everything I am hearing so far, but I felt the same about 4e and run PF now.

I did have a 2e Wizard killed by a house cat. It hit with it's first two attacks. Damn house cats! Also had a whole party wiped by stirges in the first encounter of the adventure. Ah, the good old days of 2e, let us hope we do not go back to them.

Does not sound like we are from everything that I have read, sounds like a damn good game. Will probably change a bit before all is said and done.

I personally like the new saving throw/attack mechanic.

Space

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm always a little skeptical of play reports. So much of D&D depends on the quality of the group and the DM that I'm not sure I can derive much useful information from a blurb like this. Okay, a self-selected group of D&D trufans liked to play 5e a lot this one time. But without some specifics (fairly prohibited by NDA's and the like), it doesn't tell me much that is useful.

Not to knock it too hard. Glad to hear the maths seem to be a solved problem. As long as they are invisible and insignificant, that's good in my book. ;)

Remove ads