Finally saw THe Last Samurai

KnowTheToe

First Post
Well I finally rented the Last Samurai and was pleasantly surprised. Despite its slugish pace I loved the movie. There was a wonderful developement of culture and characters, unmatched cinamatography, and exciting battles. What esl could someone ask for?

If you have not seen the movie, I strongly recommend it.

Last edited:

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Seconded. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, and I did have my issues with parts of the movie, but even if you just watch it for the scenery it's worth renting.

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
I really really liked the movie,and and even though i m no fan of the actor,i found his "roleplay" really good.(600 xp for good roleplay to Tom plz).

Chun-tzu

First Post
I really wanted to like the movie. And I did, to a degree. But I was disappointed by it. I LOVE a good Samurai movie, and given the lack thereof in American cinema, thought this could be really great. But it contains too many recycled elements from movies like Glory, Dances with Wolves, and Braveheart. I felt like I'd already seen this movie, and that it lacked in originality. Ken Watanabe was great, though.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Yeah, I thought it was pretty bad. Watanabe was good, and the sword teacher was GREAT, but otherwise, meh. Recycled and not super-well-done and a painfully-overwrought ending that put my teeth on edge.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Dancing With Samurais.

Watanabe was good. And the ninjas. And Billy Connolly. And the jokes about
the old bodyguard that never wanted to talk to Cruise. But the rest was awful.

Enforcer

Explorer
Honestly I thought it did Dances with Wolves better than Dances with Wolves, so I didn't mind the so-called "recycled" elements of it. I thought it was an excellent film all the way up to the end (which I would have done without the Hollywood ending where people live happily ever after).

I never saw Dances with Wolves, so if it was recycled, it didn't bother me. I thought the movie was alright, albeit a bit sappy towards the end. I really like the soundtrack, though. It's got a regular rotation on my RPG music disc of ripped movie soundtrack mp3s.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Saw it. Liked it. My wife threw a fit when -->
Tom Cruise didn't die in the end and half the point of the movie seemed to invovle lots of people dying so the Emperor could have a little epiphany.
<--

Remove ads