Find Steed

RulesJD

First Post
I'd rather not be micromanaged on every nuance and I'm sure they don't want that headache either. The DM can flat out tell you nothing outside of the normal spell. This is really a non-issue in my opinion. Do you really know a DM who would allow a giant ape? That sounds like a slippery slope if I've ever heard one.

I think the idea is that the clear "upgraded" mount for a Paladin are the Pegasus/Nightmare/Hippogriff/etc. But I can understand restricting them to the ones particular in the spell because the Paladin is pretty beastly already, and letting them have even stronger mounts would be a bit much.

But, as it, the rules encourage a Paladin to mount their war horse, cast a buff, then dismount and control the mount from the ground. Pretty silly to me.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I'd rather not be micromanaged on every nuance and I'm sure they don't want that headache either. The DM can flat out tell you nothing outside of the normal spell. This is really a non-issue in my opinion. Do you really know a DM who would allow a giant ape? That sounds like a slippery slope if I've ever heard one.

That is not being micromanaged on every nuance by any means. The Living Greyhawk campaign guides were not much longer than what we have now and it had pages of allowed and disallowed stuff listed at the end.

I am willing to bet that there are plenty of DM's out there that would allow it considering the only guidance from the Admins is what Kalani posted above. More seasoned DM's are likely not going to allow it but well you never know.

kalani

First Post
All non-steeder, non-horse mounts require DM permission each and every time you cast it. As such, this is a self-limiting issue, as any DM who runs into balance issues due to allowing nonstandard summons can simply withdraw their permission in the future.

So yes, while you might find a DM willing to let you summon a giant ape mount, if it becomes a problem - they won't allow it again in the future.

Mirtek

Hero
I don't want to summon anything but a horse, as that best fits the image in my head.

My paladin riding a wolf or ape would look stupid to me.

Just wished there was a way for the spirit warhorse to gain more hp at higher levels.

On the other hand it's a theoretical issue, as I only once actually had the opportunity to ride it into battle (being 9th level now).

So unless the opportunities to ride into battle increase, it doesn't matter mich what we're riding

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I do so love the irony of how the AL admins are so adamant about the "Season Origins" are used to control "cheese" and "power creep" but will ignore items in Sage Advice to help reduce the "cheese" and "power creep".

AL isn't ignoring Sage Advice -- DMs are encouraged to use the rulings in Sage Advice where they are aware of them and they believe they benefit the game. The key is that DMs aren't *required* to use Sage Advice, nor any of Crawford's Twitter notes on the rules, so if a player shows up with a broken combo that they claim is enabled by a Crawford ruling, the DM is free to ignore the ruling by AL fiat.

Personally, I point to the Sage Advice entry on Conjure Woodland Beings, as it supports the way I've always interpreted the spell to work -- caster chooses an option specified in the spell, and the DM decides what creature(s) appear. This is absolutely allowable under AL rules.

--
Pauper

StinkyEttin

First Post
Expect table variation. A player at my table that wanted to summon a giant ape with find steed and then slap some armor on it would get a long, awkward stare while I tried to figure out if he was joking or not.

Remove ads