Finding a new webhost.

MJEggertson

First Post
Ok, so I can only guess that my host has shut it's doors down: it's unreachable and they haven't replied to the last five messages or help tickets I've sent them. Given the lack of feedback, I can only guess there's no one there monitoring things, or to restart the server when it went down. I know there are many here who have done the domain registration and host thing, so I'm here to ask for advice so I don't get burned again.

Do any of you have recommendations for budget hosting? The requirements for my sites (3EProfiler and PCProfiler) are minimal. 50 Megs minimum disk space, 1 GB/month transfer is plenty. PHP and mySQL are a must, with a minimum of two allowed databases. I'm hoping to keep it under $10/month. Subdomains would be a nice bonus, but not required.

What a headache, I just want to get things going again. Would it have been so hard to email their customers something like, "Closing doors. One week until termination of service." Total cost of the email: 5 minutes of the last employees time.

Pathetic. At least I've come to expect nothing but poor customer service these days.

Thanks guys and gals,

-Mike

Last edited:

Arnix

First Post
Spaceports may have what you need, but maybe not quite in that price range. Thats a lot to ask for only $10/month.

Aeolius

Adventurer
CI Host Shared UNIX Hosting (Current Special):
Bandwidth Allowed Per Month 3 GB
Disk Storage 50 MB

Startup $25, Monthly $12.95/mo
Quarterly (prepay 3 months) $11/mo
Annually (prepay 12 months) $10/mo

(their $20/month deal is MUCH better, allowing for chat rooms, majordomo lists, 3000 Mb of disk space, unlimited bandwidth, etc)

Chaz

First Post
Wow all kinds of good fast info. Maybe Fluid should post here for help with their hosting problems.. ;) haha just kidding

MythosaAkira

Explorer
MJEggertson said:
Do any of you have recommendations for budget hosting? The requirements for my sites (3EProfiler and PCProfiler) are minimal. 50 Megs minimum disk space, 1 GB/month transfer is plenty. PHP and mySQL are a must, with a minimum of two allowed databases. I'm hoping to keep it under $10/month. Subdomains would be a nice bonus, but not required.

It might not fall in your price range, but I would recommend Doteasy for anyone looking for a good, reliable host. I switched to them after Crosswinds start doing pop-up ads (and subsequently screwing up my pages) and have had no complaints. You can't get PHP and MySQL for $10/month, but you can get them for $20 (though the basic web space is 20 MB, so you'd need to pay...I think another $5/month for 50 MB).

For people who just need a good host, you get 20 MB, 1 GB/month traffic, and the typical forwarding options for free (they send you ads and such in e-mail, but no banners or pop-ups on your site). Plus unlimited FTP access (should be a given, I know, but this is something that is a must for me, and which my two previous hosts lacked).

And, no, I don't work for them or have stock in them or anything :) I just have had very good luck with them, and wanted to share that. It's very hard finding reliable low-cost or free hosts these days.

What a headache, I just want to get things going again. Would it have been so hard to email their customers something like, "Closing doors. One week until termination of service." Total cost of the email: 5 minutes of the last employees time.

Tell me about it. I think I'm on my fifth (or is it sixth?) hosting service since I started my Web site.

BluWolf

Explorer
Two quick questions from someone just getting ready to jump into the whole campaign website thing?

1) How much traffic should some expect on a gaming geek website dedicated to ones own unoriginal campaign world? I ask because of the whole bandwith thing?

2) I have a domain address, why would I need a subdomain?

MythosaAkira

Explorer
BluWolf said:
Two quick questions from someone just getting ready to jump into the whole campaign website thing?

1) How much traffic should some expect on a gaming geek website dedicated to ones own unoriginal campaign world? I ask because of the whole bandwith thing?

Probably not enough to exceed the bandwidth limit for free sites. 1 GB/month seems to be the standard, and even with a lot of pages, graphical maps, etc., you'll probably be safe. Personally, my usage is between 2 and 2.5 GB per month, but that's because of the gaming programs I have for people to download. If it was just my world information, I don't think it would be nearly that high.

2) I have a domain address, why would I need a subdomain?

You probably wouldn't.

Remove ads