Firbolgs - A PC Race From VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yep, that has always been the appeal of the Firbolg. I wanted to play a giant towering brute when I picked a Firbolg in the Complete Book of Humanoids, and 5e will never replicate that experience. That is pretty much where the negative reaction is coming from by some of the long time players in this thread.

Which honestly confuses me, I didn't realize having a race that could wield steel beams as a weapon was that big of a desire for people.

I've seen the "I'm so strong I can wield a Greataxe in one-hand" concept before, but generally it was more important for people to be supernaturally strong (Belt of Storm Giant strength as an example) than them being towering beings.

I do think allowing a racial feat, or maybe a variant, to cover that sort of extreme weapon wielding would be a great inclusion though.

Personally though, I like these guys a lot so far.

Speaking of Goliaths, I can't wait until I get to have a Firbolg drop this line. "My kind have no names, but you humans call me a 'Goliath'".

LOL, glad I wasn't the only one catching those vibes from the name section. "Does the River have a name?" "Yes, it's called the Brooklyn" "Then I'll be the Brooklyn" (Thinking, "Humans are crazy")

It may not have been an accident that Voadkyn were quietly retired from the game after 2e, and 3e started the trend of Firbolgs picking up some of their traits. I don't think they popped up again in 3e or 4e at all in WotC products (though I think the Tome of Horrors had a Voadkyn).

But, it may have also been an attempt to suppress dat ass
View attachment 77627

I'd personally make an attempt to bring back Voadkyn as their own thing, but that's cuz I'm a weirdo. I like the new Firbolgs.

LOL

I think the fact that he's having so much trouble drawing that bow that his brain appears to be about to come bursting out the back of his head is more noticeable, actually....

But you are correct, no official post-2e D&D product ever featured or updated the voadkyn. It would still be nice to see them updated, but if blending them with firbolg to a point is what we end up with, I can live with that. After 20+ years virtual non-existence for the voadkyn, it can simply be handwaved away in-game (if it's even brought up at all) that previous monster chroniclers were confused or received bad intel that they were two different races. Although, as I said, it would be amusing to see the voadkyn updated in VGtM as well, just to see the discussion here...

Baumi

Adventurer
Isn't he a bit too strong?

Attributes are fine, but he got 3 (quite useful) spells per Short Rest and two additional smaller Abilities (Powerfull Built and Speech).

Baumi

Adventurer
My concern is not about the smaller Abilities, but with the 3 Spells per Short rest. Compare this to a Warlock, who receives 3 Spells/Rest only after the 11th Level, also these Spells are quite useful/strong.

Duergar, Drow, PHB Tieflings all get access to numerous spells per rest as well, and those are not typically described as overpowered. In practice, it seems that most people are more impressed by a relevant +2 stat bonus, a bonus feat, or bonus hit points, than by spell-like abilities.

Baumi

Adventurer
Duergar, Drow, PHB Tieflings all get access to numerous spells per rest as well, and those are not typically described as overpowered. In practice, it seems that most people are more impressed by a relevant +2 stat bonus, a bonus feat, or bonus hit points, than by spell-like abilities.

But thats an Argument for Firbolgs Spells being to strong , since all those other Races get the non-cantrip spells only at a higher level and these reset only on a long rest.

Well, maybe. I think that Enlarge (giving more damage), Hellish Rebuke (dealing damage as a reaction to a melee attack) and Faerie Fire (favoured spell of powergamers everywhere, apparently) are rather more powerful and universally applicable than Detect Magic (mainly used to determine whether a door is trapped) and Disguise Self (used mainly to not look like a Firbolg, or for shenanigans in social adventures). I think that the Firbolg get more uses of less powerful spells, which seems... fair?

To be clear, I'm not saying that Detect Magic and Disguise Self are bad spells, nor do I think that they'll never get used; I'm just saying that Hellish Rebuke, Enlarge Self and Faerie Fire are much stronger in the ways that will cause balance problems (i.e. combat).

S

Sunseeker

I've never had any interest in firbolgs at pretty much any point ever so this seems acceptable for what it is.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What would be the mechanical implications of making a Large PC race in 5e? I know 5e doesn't have the stat and skill changing shenanigans of 3.X systems. As far as I can tell, being Large would give you a 10'x10' space, and will make some spells not be able to affect you. Does it impact things like weapon use and grappling?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases