Firbolgs - A PC Race From VOLO'S GUIDE TO MONSTERS

Interesting. A bit of a departure from depictions in earlier editions. Much more nature oriented...seems they're playing up the fey aspect based on the Celtic origins of the race.

Interesting. A bit of a departure from depictions in earlier editions. Much more nature oriented...seems they're playing up the fey aspect based on the Celtic origins of the race.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Plus the last time they made a Large race (In 3E of all things) I remember it working terribly

So terribly they invented Goliaths for the sheer purpose of sweeping it under the rug and trying another approach

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Swingy design like that (HUGE benefit, HUGE drawback) encourages min/maxing - folks do what they can to minimize the penalty.

Like, if 5e firbolgs had the old "no armor or shields" penalty, they'd just end up all being barbarians (wielding 2d12 greataxes) and monks (wielding 2d6 shortswords). Crits are also a concern there - a 2d12 greataxe crits for 4d12 damage!

In terms of balance, that's something that can replace Extra Attack, a defining level 5 feature of most martial classes. It's not tiny.
Just to be (needlessly) contrary, I don't think the weapon dice issue makes a Large size race impossible, but I think it would need to be made clear that rules for monster's weapons are not the same as weapon rules for PCs. A 10' square and some bonuses to spell effects and grappling is probably OK, but double weapon damage isn't.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Just to be (needlessly) contrary, I don't think the weapon dice issue makes a Large size race impossible, but I think it would need to be made clear that rules for monster's weapons are not the same as weapon rules for PCs. A 10' square and some bonuses to spell effects and grappling is probably OK, but double weapon damage isn't.

Yeah, I think you could work with Large size sans double weapon damage mechanically.

But, there's a bit of a psychological hiccup - rather than being Medium size with a "powerful build" you'd be Large size with a "feeble build." - you couldn't pick up a weapon wielded by another Large creature and use it, for instance. Also, I think part of the appeal of a giantish race is getting to use a size of metal the length of your bed to beat your enemies about their face - if you get Large size without Large weapons, I don't know that you'd hit what a lot of folks are looking for.

On the other hand, I might be underestimating the simple appeal of being Large.

At any rate, "how do I include Large weapons in a balanced way" is definitely a big design challenge! :)

Faenor

Explorer
They go too far in trying to avoid power creep. None of the post-phb races compete with the phb races. Half orcs are still by far the best fighter or barb race. Dwarves are still by far the best clerics. Etc. These subsequent races have minor situational and novelty, but overall, in a campaign with a variety of environments and foes that spans a wide level range, the phb races are by far the best.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah, I think you could work with Large size sans double weapon damage mechanically.

But, there's a bit of a psychological hiccup - rather than being Medium size with a "powerful build" you'd be Large size with a "feeble build." - you couldn't pick up a weapon wielded by another Large creature and use it, for instance. Also, I think part of the appeal of a giantish race is getting to use a size of metal the length of your bed to beat your enemies about their face - if you get Large size without Large weapons, I don't know that you'd hit what a lot of folks are looking for.

At any rate, "how do I include Large weapons in a balanced way" is definitely a big design challenge! :)
I imagine you could do something like "Wielding a Large weapon lets you do +1 damage" or something. It would involve a major psychological hurdle of weapon damage not being purely a property of the weapon, but rather a function of both the weapon and the wielder, and isn't really the way 5e works. It IS pretty challenging!

ad_hoc

(they/them)

I just think it could be fun to play a large character, I don't need large weapons too.

It would be nice to be able to dual wield weapons bigger than daggers though.

I think Volo's was the perfect opportunity to put in some weird mechanics for player races. It's too bad they didn't work in being large.

Being able to use large weapons can be very unbalancing. I think it would also lock a race from being certain classes, as it makes it so there's even less of an incentive than there already is, to be a spellcaster.

Feats or a fighting style related to being big might help for those picking the fighty-type classes, and that's as far as it should go.

dwayne

Adventurer
As to the size difference look at it as maybe this is the generation that has lost some of its sizes and got back to their roots and the larger versions were their ancestors. If you want the old version would be easy to do increase size, flip the bonuses, and remove the nature abilities maybe add a generic giant ability from the ones in the monster manual. Everything does not have to be printed in black an white to have fun be creative thats what its all about, I like it as options are always good for me as a GM.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I would have no problem handwaving the size change back to around 10 feet tall, but mechanically still treat them as Medium sized creatures with Powerful Build. I guess that might break verisimilitude for some, but I think it's much easier on the system to not have large PCs. I'd hate to have to DM for one.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
As to the size difference look at it as maybe this is the generation that has lost some of its sizes and got back to their roots and the larger versions were their ancestors. If you want the old version would be easy to do increase size, flip the bonuses, and remove the nature abilities maybe add a generic giant ability from the ones in the monster manual. Everything does not have to be printed in black an white to have fun be creative thats what its all about, I like it as options are always good for me as a GM.
The same way that dogs are just wolves that decided to play nice. These firbolgs are the ones who can mix with other races. They're shorter and less reclusive.

And it's not like there aren't already differences between adventurers and average people of the same race. Just compare PHB drow to MM drow.

Remove ads

Remove ads