• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Firearms, Explosives and You

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I run an gnome alchemist esentially as a homebrew grenadier and he is awesome:). I agree though, reduce damage and the magic/ballistics AC thing.

And yeah who cares about the wizard bomber? Wizards are already encroaching on the rogues turf, so a bit of the same is good for 'balance'

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I approve of guns emasculating wizards.
That really relies on called shots and accurate aiming! And everyone knows that eunuch sorcerers are more dangerous than regular wizards. Think this through.

Expect spells like "Mordenkainen's Competent Codpiece" if the tactic becomes common.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I wouldn't mind a more late 15th century feel with firearms and cannon, though the slow and prone to mishap type weapons rather than just a blaster rifle.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I thought the damage was much too high. Is getting shot by a pistol really that much worse than being cleft by a friggin' longsword?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I think ignoring Armor is probably the best idea and leaving damage a bit lower.

as far as alien tech... I think its fine to be deadly

btw firearms are optional and not mandatory to be put in a game because players want it.

They tossed it in there because it harkens back to AD&D DMG and there is a tech/fantasy crossover is vogue this year.

Derren

Hero
I thought the damage was much too high. Is getting shot by a pistol really that much worse than being cleft by a friggin' longsword?

Problem is the D&D combat system does not model the advantages and disadvantages of firearms very well (especially when they simplified weapon types and proficiencies). Also the combat system is generally bad for ranged weapons (low ranges + HP bloat). To make firearms any different or even desirable over crossbows they need to increase the damage as this is the only value they can safely modify without breaking something (like with ignoring armor).

was

Adventurer
I use primitive firearms in my campaign. They do a decent amount of damage but require a couple rounds to load. It balances them out fairly well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads