• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firebrand - balanced?

Simulacrum

First Post
Or give the spells some nice side effects like for CoC:
A second save or get slowed by the numbing cold.

And for CL: a second save or get stuned for a round from the tremendous electrical shock...

Other than that Pax is right 2d4/per level sounds BAD ASS.

Halivar

First Post
Staffan said:
Except that rolling 30d4 can be rather annoying.

Not to mention dangerous.

Stray d4's laying all around make perfect caltrops when you're getting up for a midnight glass of water.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I'm a big fan of the ELH's "Average Dice Result" table, once you get past 14-15 d6, or 8-10 of anything else. If for no other reason than the fact that, at any one time, I don't tend to OWN more than 3-4 each of d4's, d8's, and d10's; 1-2 d12's, and a pair of d20's ... along with the nigh-0inevitable cube of 36d6.

Bauglir

First Post
I don't see the problem with Cone of Cold.. damage cap is correct for a 5th level spell, and it can potentially affect a very large area (If cast vertically downwards from a height of 60ft it affects a circle of 60ft radius I believe, or triple the maximum cross-section you could get from a fireball). Also I consider fire to be a very commonly resisted element, so the cold damage is an added boon - YMMV on that one ofc...

Pax

Banned
Banned
Not 60' radius, 60' DIAMETER. At best.

And actually, it'd be a BEAR to calculate the actual area of the spell if cast as you describe it ... conic sections ... UGH.

thegreatbuddha

First Post
I believe the AoE for a CoC is ~56000 ft^3, but I'm likely wrong since I haven't tried to figure the area of a cone in 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Pax said:
Not 60' radius, 60' DIAMETER. At best.

And actually, it'd be a BEAR to calculate the actual area of the spell if cast as you describe it ... conic sections ... UGH.
Not really, at least not if cast straight downward (casting it at an angle is just begging for trouble). In 3.0, the width of the cone is equal to the distance from the caster, so the cone's radius will simply be equal to height/2. In 3.5, the cone is a quarter-circle, meaning the angle pointing toward the caster is 90 degrees. If you halve that in order to get a radius, you will get a 45/45/90 triangle (with the 90 degree corner being the one directly in front of the caster), so the radius will be equal to the height.

View the attached file for a graphical demonstration of how the cones look.

Attachments

• Slide1.GIF
    Slide1.GIF
    5 KB · Views: 105

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads