First 4E game

SSquirrel

Explorer
So tonite my wife ran us thru the first half of the Heathen adventure. We only have 3 players so we are running as 8th level for it. I had a Human Wizard with all the languages (my wife ruled Linguist feat w/a +4 or better Int bonus grants 4 instead of 3 so buying it twice gives you the remaining 8), a Dragonborn Fighter and a Dwarven Cleric.

Our very first round of combat, the Dragonborn rolls a 1, which my wife ruled as swinging so hard he spun in a circle and -2AC for 1 turn. The Cleric Commanded the opposing Wizard to lie down in the mud and for my first attack of the new edition (just like when I played Basic 21 years ago), I threw a Magic Missile. I missed of course heh.

We had a great time and my wife has gone from agreeing to run just b/c she really wanted to see us all game, but wasn't sure if she was excited about it, to instead working on ideas for a full campaign. Until we can find more people, the player of the Dragonborn and I will likely make 2nd characters. His wife is happy w/just her Cleric for now. Then we can go thru the next WotC web adventure as a group of 5 8th levels, which is actually appropriate for it. Very excited all the way around. Combat was a bit slow, but we were figuring out a new edition, it was expected.

Last edited:

MommaDM

First Post
Personally, having the Dragonborn fling his axe 8 feet and sticking it into a wall was my favorite. (he crit failed a few times)

the Jester

Legend
Hey, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! My group is (largely) very eager to finish up our 3e stuff and switch over... though one of the groups I run is a ways away; they are still in part 1 of Red Hand of Doom...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Cool! Thanks for sharing your positive experience with the rest of us!I'll be playign in my first game session tomorrow night and hope it turns out as well as yours did (I'm playing a Dragonborn Ranger).

Terwox

First Post
Awesome.

The books gave me the idea that DM'ing would be much, much easier for a first timer than even 3E (3E was still fairly simply -- 4E is super quick though!) Glad to hear that's been the case for you. Enjoy!

Remove ads