• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First Basic Game: Fun With Backgrounds (And Not Much Else)

Pickles JG

First Post
As mentioned up thread, they were using the equipment from backgrounds etc rather than ala carte

Also they are mechanically very similar as the crossbow only prevents you from takng multiple attacks in a turn & has worse range though that usually will not matter.

As DM I would let him make the upgrade for flavour.

JC99

Explorer
Don't forget that certain evil creatures are weak to Sacred Flame's radiant damage.

EDIT: Actually on second look they aren't. I could have sworn undead had a weakness to radiance...

EDIT 2: Ok, Vampires from the playtest were vulnerable to radiant, not other undead.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Actually, looking at the (spoilered) ACs in one of the posts above, the light crossbow would have hit at about the same rate as saving throws would have failed (assuming saving throw bonuses of +0 to +2). Hence, the damage bonus would make the light crossbow the better option most of the time.

Sure. I mean, at any rate, it's not CLEAR that SF is better. If it's a choice, it's a fiddly one. Given that they eat up the same action economy (standard) and the same resource economy (at-will) and at the same level (1), I suppose that's reasonable.

Here is where starting equipment made a difference. The Criminal didn't start with a light crossbow, so he was casting ray of frost when he wasn't casting magic missile. :p

Heh, sounds definitely like folks were being conservative. Probably would've been "better" if you guys felt more pressure.

But your point about not feeling like a true cleric without spending daily effects is pretty well made, I think. At level 1, a cleric who isn't healing anyone and isn't under pressure to spend their dailies might just plink away with a crossbow (which means that it'll usually be their first action). I'm pretty cool with that, but I do see how it could mean you don't really feel like you're empowered by the gods to do miracles if you don't actually do that on your turn. I see a couple of fixes, but they're all pretty systemic. It's a pretty fair cop.

Pickles JG

First Post
It's a level 1 & probably 2 problem same as in all pre 4e editions (& to some extent there). Given you are supposed to spend only 1 session at those levels I would not worry overmuch about it yet.

With 6 spells at 3rd level plus the "encounter" channel power things will open up.

FireLance

Legend
I don't get why the PC isn't using a longbow, which he has proficiency with and would feel more like an Elf. The Elven Cleric Archer of 3e was one of my favourite builds.
That's a pretty good idea, actually, and would certainly help The Sage feel more elf-y. Thanks! :)

Blackbrrd

First Post
It's a level 1 & probably 2 problem same as in all pre 4e editions (& to some extent there). Given you are supposed to spend only 1 session at those levels I would not worry overmuch about it yet.

With 6 spells at 3rd level plus the "encounter" channel power things will open up.
Yeah, I agree.

That's a pretty good idea, actually, and would certainly help The Sage feel more elf-y. Thanks! :)
You're welcome! :)

The cleric archer is also perfect as a party/self buffer, since he keeps back and won't be attacked/hit/interrupted as much as a front-line cleric. He will also have the spell slots to do actual buffing (since he won't use them to attack with), and benefits from them himself. It probably works best in a party with many weapon users, not a party full of PC's that use magic. I do think the concept needs some feat support to be optimal. (One attack per round is ok at level 1, not so hot at level 11).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think having a cantrip with a save is a bad idea, since you don't get to roll the attack yourself, especially since it has no effect on a succesful save and is against a single target.

This was a bell I was ringing though out the play test (on these boards and in feedback). More felt differently.

The cleric archer is also perfect as a party/self buffer, since he keeps back and won't be attacked/hit/interrupted as much as a front-line cleric. <snip>I do think the concept needs some feat support to be optimal. (One attack per round is ok at level 1, not so hot at level 11).

The cleric archer is a fun build, and in the play test was supported by the Arcane Archer feat. Frustratingly, it was presented as viable with bows but not crossbows, but that (at least) would be trivial to fix if they haven't by the time it reaches the PHB.

Remove ads