• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Character Deaths

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I killed a lot of characters before one of mine actually died. As in, I took over as DM. But when a character finally died, Jack Skellington, human bone creature swashbuckler, was taken out by a scorching ray spell cast by a dark naga.

Demiurge out.

Percivellian

First Post
Well, the first one that doesn't really count was a human cleric, 10. Killed by a Cornugan after a flamestrike failed to deter it :p Why don't I count it? Because in the haste of rolling up that character for the one-shot, I forgot to add his +3 Con bonus to every single die roll. So glad I've learned to check my numbers...

The first one I do count was much more respectable. A 12th level Fighter, fondly toting a Mercurial Greatsword. The party had obtained (DM's version of) a Netherese Disk from a phaerimm and its minions, and had been teleported to a mountain top shrine of Selune, where during the evening's lunar eclipse, we'd be able to destroy it. Expecting to be attacked by the phaerimm once it regrouped, we did what little we could with the terrain to give us the advantage, as we'd only have a matter of seconds (5 rounds) during the eclipse to place the Disk on the altar, and destroy it.

Just before the eclipse began, it dawned on our sorcerer who else might want to get a hold of a Netherese Disk: The Shades. As soon as he said it, everything got awful dark, and a party of 5 Shades began attacking us, shifting in and out of the shadows. I managed to land a blow on their (very nasty) fighter for 146 damage, which didn't kill him. I finished him with an AoO, but was promptly taken down by the Shade Rogue and his Con evicerating rapier. The Con damage put my HP to -4, and I lied bleeding on top of the mountain while the rest of the scene played out, dying the moment just after the Disk was destroyed, and the Shades retreated.

Best 3 session mini-series campaign ever. I didn't mind that I was the only one who died :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1st PC Death?

1978, 1stEd AD&D...

A Human Fighter, fighting alongside a Human Wizard, the final 2 survivors of the party, in the last or next to last room of the dungeon.

The hall was vast, almost cavernous, and the floor was obscured by a waist-high mist. As we crossed the room carefully, our torches guttering in the moist air, a Purple Worm rose up to challenge us.

We lay into the thing as we fought a retrograde action, the mage casting his last magic misslie at it...

The DM rolled a nat 20, and the mage dissapeared into the Purple Worm's maw.

The Worm and my PC circle each other- its strikes glancing blows, my 2 handed sword carving it horribly...

Finally with both combatants at 4HP...the DM rolled another nat 20.

I have forgotten the names, but NEVER will I forget that day. I was so hyped, I asked when the next campaign was going to start, and started making a spear-wielding elf warrior...(inspired by my 2nd mini, a Ral Partha High Elf Guard)

SamhainIA

First Post
the first **real Death**

2e, I died as the Githyanki whose strong hold we were infiltrating, phased in from some extra dimentional hiding. The first ten of them magic missiled me and the other ten fired three shots from their "githyanki triple crossbows". My poor old 9th level cleric went down for the session, but he maintained an active role as "lava surfboard" and "Clerical Trap detector" for the next 6 or so hours.

--paz
samhain

Rystil Arden

First Post
I guess technically my eidolon namesake character Rystil died before the campaign started. He was killed by a Fiendish Housecat.

Seriously though, I've never had a character die. That's more an indication of the fact that my group refuses to let me do anything but DM in except in rare circumstances than anything else. Also, my few characters tend to be good at surviving.

Now that I'm doing PbP, I'll probably have a lot more deaths though.

Bryan898

First Post
The DM had a thing for Krynn minotaurs, and I was smart enough to call a big minotaur warrior an ugly son of a cow or some such. I learned a quick and hard lesson in respecting the DM's pet NPCs.

Sandain

Explorer
My first charater death was a ranger named Riverwind. I was young and had never even heard of Dragonlance. He fell down a cliff.

My next was Kate the Cleric lvl 4, I took it really hard being a mixed up geeky teenager. These days I just laugh and reach for the d6. Er thats if my group wasn't making me DM all the time.

Trance Fiend

First Post
My 1st character to have a premature death was my 2nd level Elven Ranger named Volt. I died fighting an owlbear in a circular 10X10 pit, which was 15 ft deep. I remember it well, because my fellow party members were standing at the edge watching the whole thing (The DM said they were "charmed").

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads