D&D 5E First impressions last

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This was the elf from the previous, Moldvay, basic set:

moldvayelf.jpg

I am sure it had some influence on someone.

JeffB

Legend
View attachment 74783

I loved all the images in the OSR boxes and the 1e books. But when you asked the question, this is what immediately came to mind. Why? Because it was the most influential to me.

The 1e illusionsist was not a good class. And this ... well, this wasn't the best illustration. But I still remembered leafing through the Rogue's Gallery back then (yes, I was leafing through a book that consisted of tables of numbers) and seeing this picture, and it caused me to play illusionists off and on for several years after that.

Jeff Dee makes everything look cool.

ccs

41st lv DM
As for the 5e pictures, the only one that I have an opinion on is the Dragonborn Sorcerer. So many people at my tables wanted to play one that I have now refused to help bring any more into existence. I can't ban them because I run AL games, but I certainly don't have to help make them.

You can kill them though!
And enjoy doing it.

Lanliss

Explorer
5E is my first interaction with D&D, so I can't speak toward nostalgia much. As far as pictures, I do like the monk picture, though I don't know if it made me like monk, or I like it because I like monk. I also like the gnome picture, which may have something to do with them being my favorite race.

I know this is a 5e thread, but a question about "why play a cleric" led me to think back to my first experience of D&D (Mentzer red box), and think about how my attitudes to classes have been influenced from that first exposure, and specifically the visual cues the rules gave my 10 year old brain.

I like clerics. I'm fond of fighters. I'm not a fan of wizards (magic-users), and prefer humans (my gnomophilia started with AD&D).

I wondered why. And then I re-read the red box, and it became obvious.

The Cleric
Dynamic, kinda hot, ready for battle, action-packed pose. Still my favourite class.

I remember that cleric! Didn't make the same impression on me as on you, apparently, but being reminded of her definitely does make clerics cooler in my eyes.

The Elf and the Halfling
Subtext: not important enough to warrant their own solo pics. Halfling: too much time spent eating pies; Elf: too much time spent getting ready in the bathroom. Never been fussed about either race.

I laughed so hard at this commentary.

Zardnaar

Legend
My 1st class was a fighter named Andal. My last few in 5E have been.

Light Cleric
Valor Bard
Way of the Fists Monk
Diviner Wizard

Basically stuff the others are not interested in playing.

Love the Elmore art. Bought as $10 megadungoen a few days ago for 5E and it has Elmore art in it.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
My 1st class was a fighter named Andal. My last few in 45E have been.

Light Cleric
Valor Bard
Way of the Fists Monk
Diviner Wizard

Basically stuff the others are not interested in playing.

Love the Elmore art. Bought as $10 megadungoen a few days ago for 5E and it has Elmore art in it.

Even though I enjoy monk, my first character was a gnome druid, who grappled with goblins constantly. My DM for the beginning of Lost Mines was very unhappy that I was constantly pinning and throwing goblins around.

Remove ads