D&D 5E First impressions last

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I rememebr art for raise dead and fly either form the expert blue book or the BECMI rules cyclopedia.

You're right. There was a Fly by Elmore in the Expert [BECM] book...and Stone to Flesh, now that I'm thinking about it or was that in the Companion set book(?). But I definitely don't recall any Raise Dead art..in the BECM book...

OH! You're thinking of the Speak with Dead art, another Larry Elmore! haha. But yes, Speak with Dead and Fly would have been in the Mentzer Expert set.

tumblr_nqx4a4vZHo1ro2bqto1_500.jpg

But for the Basic set, those images were not present. You only had 1st level spells for Clerics (since they didn't get spells until 2nd level) and first and second level spells for Mages. So, for those initial/gfirst introductory images, the spells you mention, while yes having art, were not in those manuals.

Lanliss

Explorer
Better art than 5E lol. 5E has great art except for halflings and Gnomes

Yes, most of the art for them is pretty bad. Luckily, there is one good gnome picture, and I feel like it should be the basis for what gnomes should look like. Slender form, but not freakishly thin. The head is the main point of interest for me, in proportion to the body. It is a bit larger, compared to humans, wider than Human heads, but shorter if I am not mistaken. Then you have the gnome art in SCAG, which is basically the opposite. Taller head, and thin instead of wide. Going to the body however, we have good detail on the muscles, and making it obvious as a rock gnome. The only problem I have with it is that he has very well muscled arms, but still has a potbelly? Might as well be a halfling with elf ears. If all of the art looked more like the Gnome picture from PHB I would have no complaint.

Lanliss

Explorer
Actually, I should correct myself on one point I made before. The halfling picture in the PHB does not look bad, I just forgot about it. While not amazing or dramatic, it is not anywhere near bad.

[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] yep, Larry Elmore, Jeff Dee, and Jim Roslof (Thor from L&L!) were by far my faves. Along with the wee cartoon funnies from the Ad&d DMG.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases