• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Impressions?

Technically you could do that in all the previous editions as well. They just used different terms for it: 5-foot step, shift, etc.
yes, and this is why i want a new edition.

Why have a penalty for shooting in melee when you can go 1 step back, shoot and go one step in again?

I think opportunity attacks are missing for leaving threatened areas.

Dausuul

Legend
Regardless of the example, the random element in the check mechanic definitely outweighs the ability element. When a character with an ability score of 3 has roughly a 1-in-4 chance of outperforming a character with an ability score of 18, the randomness of the check mechanic seems to be too high.

I agree, it's excessive.

The problem here is that D&DN models superior skill in combat by scaling hit points and damage rather than attack and defense values. Which is fine and all, but it doesn't translate. So the game can represent large differences in combat skill, but not in any other skill.

Gold Roger

First Post
Considering this is a early playtest version and I'm going of gut reaction and preconcieved notions, I like pretty much the whole thing.

The only thing that really puts me of is the long rest heals completely matter. At a quick glance, my issues with that:

-It goes completely against my own personal preferences, that are otherwise well supported

-I already know this might be a total deal breaker for one of my prospective players

-It's inconsistent with other healing rules. You need bandages for hp healing over the day, but when you go asleep hp are suddenly completely divorced from physical damage?

-It's exactly the opposite from what we heard from previous playtests and Mike Mearls recent L&L article that was written when the package was almost finished

I suspect/hope that this isn't the real deal on healing rules, but a quick and dirty solution for the first round playtest, so it runs quicker and can stay "on scene".

NMcCoy

Explorer
There's some funkiness with how certain rules interact, possibly as an artifact of merged systems. Ranged attacks against prone creatures have disadvantage, unless the attacker is adjacent - but you also have disadvantage when making a ranged attack in melee reach of an enemy...

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I am pleasantly surprised by the rules so far. It is a playtest version so there are lots of tweaks that need to be made, but, on the whole, I am impressed.

Top 3 Likes

Dis/advantage- Remove bonii and roll 2d20 and drop one. Very swingy. Very potent. I was worried about it on paper but love it in play. The infamous medusa encounter was terrifying with disadvantage for the PCs and advantage for her. The fighter went reckless to stop the pain and wound up stoned on the final round.

Combat is fast. Blazing. Even with no rules familiarity.

The cleric looks like it will be a fun class to build. Laser vs smite 'n board will be a tough choice.

Top 3 dislikes

Complete heal after long rest. I liked the Legend and Lore breakdown of > bloodied is morale or fighting spirit, < bloodied is cuts, bruises and sprains, 0 and less is a wound. The 8 hr rest and all better does not reflect this. I would like to see a refresh of up to half hp(your up to bloodied value) per 8 hour rest. If you take a wound (hit 0) you can not replenish HD until you have rested as many days as negative hit points received. Magical healing reduces 1 day per hit point healed.

Fighters seem a bit weak. 2 surges make them sexy shoeless gods of war but the rest of the time they seem too basic and lower damage. Maneuvers will help but a basic fighter should still dish out the hurt round to round.

Herbalism is too much to not break the economy. Action economy holds the healing in check in combat somewhat. It is still the Wand of Cure Light Wounds from 3.x in 5E. Out of HD to heal during a short rest? The Herbalist with Healer's Touch will have everyone up and full for minimal gold.

Good start let's iron out these kinks.

WheresMyD20

First Post
I agree, it's excessive.

The problem here is that D&DN models superior skill in combat by scaling hit points and damage rather than attack and defense values. Which is fine and all, but it doesn't translate. So the game can represent large differences in combat skill, but not in any other skill.

I was thinking a little more about the randomness of ability checks today. If a 3d6 roll were used instead of the standard die roll, that would go a long way towards alleviating the problem of excessive randomness.

WheresMyD20

First Post
This is a far too literal interpretation of the rules. We will go with the minimum breaking point, 3str rolls 15 and 18str rolls 6.

The problem with ability checks as written is that random factor is a wide range (20 points) and is linearly distributed. The ability factor is a smaller range (9 points) and is distributed on the bell curve (assuming classic D&D roll for ability scores). Because of this, the random factor of a check overwhelms the ability factor. The check mechanic really only works for tests that are essentially random, where a character's natural ability only plays a minor role in success or failure.

Andor

First Post
Herbalism is too much to not break the economy. Action economy holds the healing in check in combat somewhat. It is still the Wand of Cure Light Wounds from 3.x in 5E. Out of HD to heal during a short rest? The Herbalist with Healer's Touch will have everyone up and full for minimal gold.

Good start let's iron out these kinks.

Pffft. I made almost this exact rule in my D&D basic game once, back in the day. (Technically I ruled that a Potion of CLW was a vial of holy water with a spell that had a bless or something cast on it. The component cost totaled to 25 gp IIRC.)

It broke nothing but saved the party's bacon plenty at low levels. At high level play there is no way to prevent the party from turning gold into HP. HP loss does not endure between combats at high level play. It never has, it never will. Once spells are exhausted however the party will still turn cautious becuase swigging a potion for 8hp is not a good use of your turn in mid-combat at 12th level.

Of course in part that rule was a reaction to the prevelance of CLW potions in the hands of every NPC in D&D basic, while the rules implied that Odysseus, Chu Cullain, Gandalf and Merlin might have been able to make one. After questing together for a year or three, of course, you wouldn't want it to seem easy.

Argyle King

Legend
I was thinking a little more about the randomness of ability checks today. If a 3d6 roll were used instead of the standard die roll, that would go a long way towards alleviating the problem of excessive randomness.

I agree. A little bit of a bell curve would help D&D Durango greatly.

However, since -I imagine- most people would want to keep the same range of numbers for simplicity's sake, I'd suggest 2d10. There would be less of a curve than 3d6, but your number range is the same (with the exception of not being able to roll a 1.)

Remove ads