• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Impressions?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I love these ability based "contest" rolls. But don't understand them.
a melee attack roll is 1d20+str mod vs ac
a finesse attack roll is 1d20+dex mod vs ac
what is a ranged attack roll?
a cleric prayer attack roll is 1d20+wis mod vs the target's 1d20++??
the DC to resist a cleric prayer is 10+wis. But what is the target's save roll?
a wizard spell attack roll is 1d20+int mod vs ??
the DC to resist a spell is 10+int mod. What is the target's save?
What is this spell attack+2? Where does it come from?

What do you not understand? We arm wrestle, both rolling a Strength check. Whoever rolls highest, wins, and if we tie.. we agonise and try again.

Ranged attacks are Dex mod vs AC.
Cleric and Wizard attacks target AC.
Saving throws against spells are specified in the spell descriptions.

I think the +2 spell attack bonus is to make it easier to hit with magic.

Since level-up information is included in each character packet -- what are the ability score level-ups? I'm assuming that the 1/2 level addition to all attack and defense modifiers has been scrapped. So attack bonuses must be based on ability score level-ups. I can live with that. Or am I misunderstanding it?

I believe the math is completely flat (give or take later increases). Over the three levels we see, no attack bonuses or skill bonuses or saving throws or AC increase.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Due to How to play guide, PCs have advantage on attacks when attacking from hide.
On Halfling Rogue Charlist we see an Ambusher feat that looks pretty much redundant to me..

Am i misinterpreting something or did i catch a bug here?

I noticed this, but haven't resolved it yet - possibly two drafts are at odds here. Rogue sneak attack damage seems to increase rapidly, but there are no flanking rules, so I guess you aren't supposed to get Advantage that often?

Dausuul

Legend
First impressions:

• This looks like a hybrid of 3E and 4E. Not as much old-school influence as I was hoping for. Ah well.
  • Full hp recovery after a night's rest is a 4E-ism that's not going to go over well at all, I don't think. Certainly not with me.
  • Intoxicated grants DR? What gives? This reminds me of my days back in the '90s coding on MUDs, where alcohol was a healing potion that gave you attack penalties. While it's mildly amusing, the idea that adventurers have an incentive to get wasted before going into combat is stupid. I could see this effect as a feat in a "drunken master" theme, or a dwarven racial ability. It should not be a universal mechanic.
  • Hey, we have rules for leveling up from 1 to 3! You don't get to make any choices, but we have more of a level range than expected.
  • Character sheets nice and compact. Good to see.
  • No spell disruption rules in evidence.
  • Notice something that doesn't happen when you level up from 1 to 3? Neither your attack rolls, nor your defenses, nor your spell DCs get better. I guess they're serious about flattening the math. I approve.
  • 100% prose descriptions for spells. I heartily endorse this.

More as I read it (haven't gotten to the bestiary yet, and only skimmed the characters).

Drakhar

First Post
So am I the only one to notice that almost every single weapon attack roll is off from what the rules document says the damage dice are?

ren1999

First Post
So am I the only one to notice that almost every single weapon attack roll is off from what the rules document says the damage dice are?

I noticed it. I see that the damage is based on strength modifiers but I can't figure out where the attack rolls are getting an extra +2 or more. From where? I can't really put anything out for a play-test until I explain the math.

Drakhar

First Post
I noticed it. I see that the damage is based on strength modifiers but I can't figure out where the attack rolls are getting an extra +2 or more. From where? I can't really put anything out for a play-test until I explain the math.
I believe that it has to do with weapon training, I.E if you have training in the weapon, you get a +2 bonus. My main notice is that all the weapon damages themselves seem to be upped a die from the rule book, and it looks like they've brought back double strength with two handed weapons, atleast that's how it appears with the fighter, I don't see the rule anywhere

Remove ads