First Impressions?

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Having read through all the rules and character sheets now, I'm liking what I see. Most obvious is the difference between classes and the overall flatness of the maths.

Current reservations: Hitpoint determination, dis/advantage interaction with spells that don't require an attack roll, similarly with the Rogue's take 10 ability, also the 'max all healing' feat would appear to be a little powerful.

Well, my first impression is that the download system isn't working for me.

My second impression is that the commentors on the WotC forum are whiny little brats. Not like the sophisticates here at ENWorld.

Animal

First Post
Due to How to play guide, PCs have advantage on attacks when attacking from hide.
On Halfling Rogue Charlist we see an Ambusher feat that looks pretty much redundant to me..

Am i misinterpreting something or did i catch a bug here?

ren1999

First Post
The spell attack bonuses on the wizard elf (+6; should be +5 = 3 Int + 2 magical attacks) and the human cleric (+4; should be +6 = 4 Wis + 2 magical attacks) seem off. Did I miss something?
-YRUSirius

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but I believe Wizards gave me permission to talk about specific roll mechanics anywhere people would listen.

I really like what I am reading. I think that the Skills overhaul is wonderful.

I noticed a few things that need clarifying.

I love these ability based "contest" rolls. But don't understand them.
a melee attack roll is 1d20+str mod vs ac
a finesse attack roll is 1d20+dex mod vs ac
what is a ranged attack roll?
a cleric prayer attack roll is 1d20+wis mod vs the target's 1d20++??
the DC to resist a cleric prayer is 10+wis. But what is the target's save roll?
a wizard spell attack roll is 1d20+int mod vs ??
the DC to resist a spell is 10+int mod. What is the target's save?
What is this spell attack+2? Where does it come from?

Since level-up information is included in each character packet -- what are the ability score level-ups? I'm assuming that the 1/2 level addition to all attack and defense modifiers has been scrapped. So attack bonuses must be based on ability score level-ups. I can live with that. Or am I misunderstanding it?

Overall, I'm very thrilled at this initial intended direction.

Kinak

First Post
I have to say: There's old school and then there's "this will be easier to follow if I pull out my copy of B2" old school.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads