• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, story-tellijg ribbons. The PHB is at pains to point out that they are pure storytelling devices, nit game mechanics.
Game mechanics are not the only way to gain advantage in the game. And really, by arguing that the features are not an advantage due to not being mechanics is just heightening the power disparity between the new and old backgrounds.

Simpletense

Explorer
If all they mean is "Old adventures can be used" then they should say that. Backwards compatible, especially given the playtest document saying you can use old races and backgrounds, means that you need to be able to pull one or both of those things forward and be on par with the new content.
For what it's worth, the FAQ on Beyond attempts to clarify what they mean by backwards compatible and does seem to emphasise published adventures but I appreciate the phrase "make it even better" isn't going to sit well with a lot of people.

Screenshot_2022-08-20-21-56-58-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
For what it's worth, the FAQ on Beyond attempts to clarify what they mean by backwards compatible and does seem to emphasise published adventures but I appreciate the phrase "make it even better" isn't going to sit well with a lot of people.

View attachment 258538
Thanks!

But now this from the playtest is very confusing. Why even put it in?

"ABILITY SCORE INCREASES FROM ELSEWHERE
Since 2014, characters have received ability score increases from several sources, either from a Race that has the Ability Score Increase trait or from the ability score rules in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, Monsters of the Multiverse, and other books. If you make a character using one of those older sources and get ability score increases from it, the character doesn’t also get ability score increases from Background, unless you forgo the older ability score increases to gain the increases from the Background rules here."

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've just been having another look at the races, I kind if feel like they lost a bit of flavour for the wood elf by removing mask of the wild, I guess they assume pass without trace will do the job.

I'm fine with the high elf gaining additional spells, but I do kind of think that there is no point is stating that you start with prestidigitation. If you can change it on a long rest, just state that they can choose a wizard cantrip.

I'd be tempted to still give the underdark races sunlight sensitivity. Not sure if I will actually bother, but I'd be tempted to. Though since they aren't the power houses of earlier editions, they probably don't really need it.

I've just been having another look at the races, I kind if feel like they lost a bit of flavour for the wood elf by removing mask of the wild, I guess they assume pass without trace will do the job.

I'm fine with the high elf gaining additional spells, but I do kind of think that there is no point is stating that you start with prestidigitation. If you can change it on a long rest, just state that they can choose a wizard cantrip.

I'd be tempted to still give the underdark races sunlight sensitivity. Not sure if I will actually bother, but I'd be tempted to. Though since they aren't the power houses of earlier editions, they probably don't really need it.
I think most people find sunlight sensitivity on a pc more annoying than inspiring, so pcs won't get it.

NPC / enemy drow might still have it.

Simpletense

Explorer
Thanks!

But now this from the playtest is very confusing. Why even put it in?

"ABILITY SCORE INCREASES FROM ELSEWHERE
Since 2014, characters have received ability score increases from several sources, either from a Race that has the Ability Score Increase trait or from the ability score rules in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, Monsters of the Multiverse, and other books. If you make a character using one of those older sources and get ability score increases from it, the character doesn’t also get ability score increases from Background, unless you forgo the older ability score increases to gain the increases from the Background rules here."
Presumably so players who want to play as a race not in the playtest document can play alongside those who do?

Remove ads