D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

I'm gonna remove the use limit on the orc's adrenaline rush. The designers seem to be focusing a little too much on PB/long rest abilities for my liking (in general that is, not necessarily this playtest content)
I was debating that with the dwarven tremor sense... if making it still an action but at will

Parmandur

Book-Friend
yes you can take the 2014 character and modify it to be the 2024 version...

you can also take a 1e or 2e character and make an equivalent in 3e, 4e, or 5e that doesn't mean they are all compatible... it means you can change 1 into the other
Yes, but this particular change has been the standard in 5E publications since 2020. It's neither new, nor complicated.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1st playtest... just the origins, we have races diffrent, and backgrounds now giving feats... what part of this points to this not being changed?
Every book released since Theros, over two years ago, has given Level 1 characters a free Feat. The Races here are all Tasha's Custom Lineage compatible, so following the standard since 2020 agian. And there hasn't been any issue mixing and matching stuff from pre-Tasha and latter.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Every book released since Theros, over two years ago, has given Level 1 characters a free Feat. The Races here are all Tasha's Custom Lineage compatible, so following the standard since 2020 agian. And there hasn't been any issue mixing and matching stuff from pre-Tasha and latter.
This is similar to how WotC had been slowly iterating 3e up to stuff like Book of Nine Swords, then got confused with 4e's reception, not realizing that most of their player base didn't follow the supplement train that far.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is similar to how WotC had been slowly iterating 3e up to stuff like Book of Nine Swords, then got confused with 4e's reception, not realizing that most of their player base didn't follow the supplement train that far.
Yea, that's why they did it more slowly and with constant UA and genral surveys this time. Now they won't likely be surprised by the reception, particularly ularly yhe changes that actuate the standard house rules.

Has anyone noticed that 1D&D Humans are just Tasha's Custom Lineage without the option of Darkvusuon...?

Not exactly, TBH.

Custom LIneage

Type: Humanoid
Size: S or M
Speed: 30 ft
ASI: not relevant, as it will be picked from Background using the mix & match rules
Feat: any that you qualify for.
Feature: Darkvision OR a skill proficiency
Language: Common +1

Compatible Human

Type: Humanoid (check)
Size: S or M (check)
Speed: 30 ft (check)
ASI: none (check)
Feat: a first-level feat
Features: a proficiency, morning inspiration.

So, the custom lineages gets an original feat, the ability to trade a skill prof for darkvision and two languages, while the compatible human gets a new feat and morning inspiration.

Depending on build, several of the older feat might be more powerful than the 1st-level feat we see (especially since with standard array, a half-feat might be the only way to start with 18 in your main stat). I'd say it outdoes the morning inspiration, while you still get two free languages. I'd say that if you're willing to play a human in One, you'd be better served, optimization-wise, to create a custom lineage "Regular citizen of Humancity." instead of playing a compatible human.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not exactly, TBH.

Custom LIneage

Type: Humanoid
Size: S or M
Speed: 30 ft
ASI: not relevant, as it will be picked from Background using the mix & match rules
Feat: any that you qualify for.
Feature: Darkvision OR a skill proficiency
Language: Common +1

Compatible Human

Type: Humanoid (check)
Size: S or M (check)
Speed: 30 ft (check)
ASI: none (check)
Feat: a first-level feat
Features: a proficiency, morning inspiration.

So, the custom lineages gets an original feat, the ability to trade a skill prof for darkvision and two languages, while the compatible human gets a new feat and morning inspiration.

Depending on build, several of the older feat might be more powerful than the 1st-level feat we see (especially since with standard array, a half-feat might be the only way to start with 18 in your main stat). I'd say it outdoes the morning inspiration, while you still get two free languages. I'd say that if you're willing to play a human in One, you'd be better served, optimization-wise, to create a custom lineage "Regular citizen of Humancity." instead of playing a compatible human.
That's close enough that I wonder if it was meant to be a test for a new Human approach back when they introduced it.

Remove ads