D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To be honest, if they continue to have asides in the vein of the Baclgroujd ASI sidebar...I think they can pull it off.

I am very curious to see their maximum proposals for Classes, and how they want to handle backwards compatibility.
Classes are where the perception of compatibility will really be tested, for sure.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I appreciate the phrase "make it even better" isn't going to sit well with a lot of people.

I want to understand more why they're thinking things like changing Dragonborn breath weapon mechanics is better instead of just different.

I'd even say I want to understand why they want us to use Inspiration more. Like, I am on board, because I like the RP elements of Inspiration, but why is using Inspiration better than not using it? if groups aren't using it, why is their experience not as good as it could be? I am not following their thought process here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I want to understand more why they're thinking things like changing Dragonborn breath weapon mechanics is better instead of just different.

I'd even say I want to understand why they want us to use Inspiration more. Like, I am on board, because I like the RP elements of Inspiration, but why is using Inspiration better than not using it? if groups aren't using it, why is their experience not as good as it could be? I am not following their thought process here.
Well, based on the fact that inspiration is entirely missing from the new Starter Set...Inspiration may be on the chopping block. It's go big, or go home.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
What's the point of the mechanic if it's not being used? Using Inspiration is better because it's a mechanic that provides a benefit to the players using it.

Well, based on the fact that inspiration is entirely missing from the new Starter Set...Inspiration may be on the chopping block. It's go big, or go home.

I'd say they are trying to make Inspiration used. It failed when it was used as a roleplaying reward, ala Exalted's bonus dice, so they introduce it as a mechanical tool so people remember it (a crit is double weapon damage and Inspiration). I suspect it will work because there is a strong chance one use it immediately on the next roll in the fight. Outside of fight, it will have less impact and people might tend to forget (esp. as it's a transient resource).

My guess is the little sentence explaining it can be earned by roleplaying will be dropped altogether when the compatible edition is printed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd say they are trying to make Inspiration used. It failed when it was used as a roleplaying reward, ala Exalted's bonus dice, so they introduce it as a mechanical tool so people remember it (a crit is double weapon damage and Inspiration). I suspect it will work because there is a strong chance one use it immediately on the next roll in the fight. Outside of fight, it will have less impact and people might tend to forget (esp. as it's a transient resource).

My guess is the little sentence explaining it can be earned by roleplaying will be dropped altogether when the compatible edition is printed.
I think that it could go either way: if this change is embraced, it stays, if it is rejected, Inspiration may go entirely.

Time will tell.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
LOL, it's more honest than "1D&D." I honestly feel a bit insulted by the marketing BS there.

So, don't think of it in terms of Edition, because that's always been marketing jargon. Think of it in terms of engine, like in a video game. This is the forever engine of base D&D, and by that standard "OneD&D" is honest and straightforward. They will do new typical editions, in the publishing sense, but they have no business interest in completely overhauling the engine under the hood (Race and Class are more like body detailing, not the engine).
You’re not wrong, but we’ve been running on the same engine since 3.0: the d20 engine. Yes, 4e made some big changes and so did 5e; the 1D&D changes will probably be less significant than either of those. But at its core we’re still running on the same mechanical underpinning we have been since WotC got a hold of the IP.

Remove ads