• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

With Ardlings it's two birds, one stone, you get Aasimar and animalistic races in one. They basically split Aasimar into two races, more human looking Aasimar and more beastially Ardling.

But for the love of the Gods, come up with a cooler name then Ardlings, it sounds too close to Lardlings.
Celestial planetouched having easily mockable names is tradition.

OB1

Jedi Master
Count me as surprised that the changes being talked about here are OS changes (new crit rules, for example) and not just new ways to build characters and monsters based on the 2014 OS. Maybe none of those actually make the final version or are presented as options, but if they are straight updates that means that a character you built with 2014 OS in mind will function differently in 2024 (and may have to be rebuilt).

And I can imagine that fighters could get additional weapon dice as an ability at higher levels to give them more power.

Thaumaturge.
slayer and knight used to have a special ability that on a hit added +1 w that recharged per short rest... the slayer got to add BOTH str and dex to damage on attacks, and there basic attack scaled to 2w at 11th... I could see that coming back.

W was teh weapon damage, so a longsword 1w was 1d8 but a greatsword 1w was 2d6 and 2w was 2d8 and 4d6

Animal headed people qith magical wings.

Animal Headed part celestial people, basically Aasimar for none Angels and less human looking Gods.

Great for the Mulhorandi/Egyptian Gods.

I'm more convinced then ever that an FR One D&D Campaign Book is coming in 2024 because someone has to fit all this new stuff into FR lore some how so it all makes sense. I have a feeling Ardlings will be primarily tied to Mulhorand. And This new twice on Tieflings will need a lore explanation.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi

Unearthed Arcana: Character Origins | One D&D​

Critical Hits (experimental) - emphasized this is playtest and not set in stone
  • 20 gives inspiration
  • 20 on attack is a crit, but only if you attack with a weapon or unarmed strike (nerf to spells)
  • to differentiate spells and weapons / unarmed strikes
  • roll weapon or unarmed strike dice twice
  • only player characters score critical hits
  • Recharge abilities are like a monster's crit, so monsters don't need them. The DM can control the tension, no accidental crits leading to character death
Accidentally Crit leading to a character death? What is an accidental Crit? And are your players aware that getting into monster fights can lead to death?

dave2008

Legend
Count me as surprised that the changes being talked about here are OS changes (new crit rules, for example) and not just new ways to build characters and monsters based on the 2014 OS. Maybe none of those actually make the final version or are presented as options, but if they are straight updates that means that a character you built with 2014 OS in mind will function differently in 2024 (and may have to be rebuilt).
It seems from the two videos I have watched today that the primary thrust for backwards compatibility is to allow you to run all of the 2014-2023 adventures with the 2024 rule updates. They are less concerned if a '14 class is 100% balanced with a '24 class, etc.

Remove ads