• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Unearthed Arcana: Character Origins | One D&D​

Critical Hits (experimental) - emphasized this is playtest and not set in stone
  • 20 gives inspiration

Okay, cool idea.

• 20 on attack is a crit, but only if you attack with a weapon or unarmed strike (nerf to spells)
  • to differentiate spells and weapons / unarmed strikes

lol, kind of lame. I want spells to get nerfed, but this is the wrong way. If anything gets removed here, I expect this to because of the magic of the number "20".

• roll weapon or unarmed strike dice twice

I can't remember where I got it from, but players should just roll one set and get an additional damage bonus equal to the maximum roll of their weapon die. That way you don't get screwed by a naughty word roll and your Critical Hit comes off being lame. You'll always get more damage from it, even if is only one point more.

Also double the ability damage, too, because why not?

• only player characters score critical hits
  • Recharge abilities are like a monster's crit, so monsters don't need them. The DM can control the tension, no accidental crits leading to character death

This is not a bad idea at all if they end up making monsters way more mechanically interesting. When you don't have to worry about critical hits, you can make wilder stuff. Hopefully they use that space and run with it.

The fact that they're getting a strong spotlight on the official announcement makes me feel their exclusion is pretty unlikely.

With Ardlings it's two birds, one stone, you get Aasimar and animalistic races in one. They basically split Aasimar into two races, more human looking Aasimar and more beastially Ardling.

But for the love of the Gods, come up with a cooler name then Ardlings, it sounds too close to Lardlings.

Hill Dwarves no longer have subraces (excluding Duergar), but Elves still have them with Drow, High, and Wild because they are far more then just mild appearance and cultural differences.

So it appears there will be High Elves, Drow, Wild Elves, Orcs, Humans, Halflings, Gnomes (or perhaps Rock Gnomes and Forest Gnomes), Dwarves and I assume Dragonborn (one race or Gem, Chromatic, and Metallic,?)

Plus hybrid options.

Background appears to be a mix of personal history, occuptation, and culture.

They should rename any feat that appears in the 5e PHB to avoid confusion.

No mention of the SRD, but if this stuff isn't added to the SRD, it risks splintering the fandom as third party publishers are stuck with 5e and unability to particapate in One D&D (which feels like a call out to the One Ring, as in One Edition to Bind them).

Its was pretty b****y to blatantly rip off Pathfinder 2e's power source based spell lists. I also love that power source matters, although the bouncing back and forth between Primal being a power source and absorded into Divine Magic.

It also feels closer abit to 4e.

Just so much to chew on already.

Heh heh... I'm not going to hold me breath waiting for the community to all come together and decide as a cohesive group whether this is considered a "new edition".
i mean if you expect everyone on here to agree the sky is blue you wont get it... what I mean is when you go to Cons or Stores (and somewhat when talking on here or redit or tic tok) will you have to spell out what PHB you are useing?

I already see feats from 2014 book may not work

Remove ads