D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

I've houseruled that Inspiration is awarded on a roll of 1. I took that idea from Cortex, where a failure can boost your chance of future success.

The new Legend of the Five Rings system has something like this, where if you fail because of your flaw/disadvantage, you gain a "void point" which gives you bonuses for other things. Helps get people to not avoid their character flaws, and roleplay better.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Which is a lot of what this is, honestly. A lot of the early discussion in that video seemed to be minor variations of "it's in the book, so that's the limit" so they're now revising things to make it even more explicit that no, you really can use your imagination and make stuff up. Like small humans. I'm here for it...but that seems a bit odd. Are that many people still locked into the "unless the rule book gives me explicit permission, it's not allowed" mindset? If that's a thing, why not have that explicitly in every race? No reason you couldn't have a small orc or a medium goblin. Once you're not talking about humans it's all fantasy anyway. Not complaining about the change, just surprised that the designers seem to think they need to make that explicit in the rules.
The thing is, if it’s not in the book you need the DM’s permission to do it. If it’s in the book, the DM has to ban it if they don’t want you to do it, and that means the rest of the table has the opportunity to advocate against banning it.

5e went hard towards Trad, now the pendulum is swinging back towards OC.

dave2008

Legend

Unearthed Arcana: Character Origins | One D&D​

Critical Hits (experimental) - emphasized this is playtest and not set in stone
  • 20 gives inspiration
  • 20 on attack is a crit, but only if you attack with a weapon or unarmed strike (nerf to spells)
  • to differentiate spells and weapons / unarmed strikes
  • roll weapon or unarmed strike dice twice
  • only player characters score critical hits
  • Recharge abilities are like a monster's crit, so monsters don't need them. The DM can control the tension, no accidental crits leading to character death

Remove ads