D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Eberron even says that they are their own true-breeding race in their own right.

But I guess this does move them a bit closer to Tolkien half-elves where they may have to choose between which lineage they take after, though they apparently get average ages rather than picking their fate.
Realistically, I'm just going to let players use whichever version (2014 or 2024) they want. The races aren't really changed that much anyway.

Ixal

Hero
I like a lot of the things I see in the UA, especially making roleplaying elements like backgrounds more significant to character creation and gameplay. On the other hand, with the added customization and feats to choose from, etc., I hope they don't move away from simple, easy to understand archetypes. They make it easy for new players to grasp the concept, and they make it easier to whip up a character quickly, instead of spending hours building a character before being able to play. I think the canned backgrounds with the explicit allowance for modifying or building from scratch is a good way to achieve both goals.
Are backgrounds really more significant considering its a wild west and everyone can make up anything? Whats the significance of being a noble when at best it gives you a small boost to diplomacy or something.
Compare that to RPGs like Warhammer where being a nobles is a huge deal.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I like some of the changes, of course...

But I'd still like to see just a -tiny- bit more done to the spell lists:

Arcane, Divine, Occult, Primal

Split out the "Dark and Questionable" magic to be it's own thing, rather than giving Wizards and Sorcerers the Warlock's unique and interesting spells.
No thank you.
This precludes the superior option that had been suggested by the NPC warlocks in MotM: Subclass specific spell lists. There is no reason for all the various warlock patrons to grant the exact same spell lists. Even better, they can even have spells that are outside of any spell list to make them truly exclusive!

Remove ads