D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

We can disagree. 5-8 [Lucky is] functionally the same. 1-4 go by quick enough in most games IME that it's meaningless. Anything above 8 it's a gain. It was hardly a feat that was crying out for strengthening.
Lucky's had the actually obnoxious part of it removed. The original text is below.
You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
This got seriously OP when you were making a check with disadvantage or facing an attack with advantage. If you made a check/attack with disadvantage and then used Lucky you could pick any of the three dice, turning Disadvantage into Super-Advantage. Worse than that if you rolled a 20 and something else with Disadvantage you could see that 20, trigger lucky, and turn it into a crit no matter what you rolled on the extra dice.

New Lucky can't be used unless you're simply rolling 1d20 and can't be used for auto-crits. It's a non-trivial nerf and 5-8 Lucky isn't functionally the same.

One problem with "Aardlings" is that excluding the Beastlands there aren't that many Beast-like CG Celestials. At the most there's Lillendi (who have humanoid upper torsos and snake lower torso with wings), Asuras (Mostly humanoid except for the wings and bird talon feet) and Tome of Battle Valkyrie (who can be described as Satyr-Angels). The most prevalent CG celestials are the Celestial Eladrins (aka Azata in Pathfinder) or whatever they're going to call them now (Sidhe?) who are all mostly Fey-like.

And this is not counting the fact that about half of the Archon types are also human-like.

I think that while Aardlings have animal features, some players would want to go full Furry, not necessarily everyone wants to go full Furry for such concepts.

I think they should just collapse the concept into Aasimar. No having 2 different races.
Guardinals - the entire plane of Elysium is full of straight up animal-celestials.

EDIT: And no sooner do I hit post than I realize you were specifying CG celestials... Disregard.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Ten Feats are included.

Improved: Magic Initiate. Clustering of spells enriches choice. Spells chosen are not tied to any particular casting stat -- a cleric can easily pick up an attack cantrip and find familiar, and use Wisdom as the casting stat for them all. My go-to feat has just got stronger.

Lucky (yes, you get one fewer point at levels 1-4, but from then on it improves.)

Tavern Brawler. First, it's much more clearly written. Rather than talk about improvised weapons, it makes explicit that "furniture" counts as a club or greatclub (and would use proficiency with that) -- that's much better than the improvidsed weapon wording, though I think "furniture" is wrong. Free shove with no save is better than bonus action grapple attempt.

Balanced: Alert (still A-tier, with a cool new ability)

Healer (Still mid-tier.)

New: Crafter: A nice addition, strengthening tool use. I wonder if the discount on non-magical items includes gems (so that 300 gp of diamonds for Revivify costs a crafter only 240)? It becomes metaphysical: does the spell requires you to have shelled out 300 gp for diamonds (even if someone is overcharging you, and you only get something otherwise worth 60 gp) or can you get bulk discounts? (This is also a question about supply and demand's relationship to magic).

Musician: operationalizes Inspiration, and gives multiple musical proficiencies, mostly meaninglessly.

Unchanged: Tough, Skilled, Savage Attacker.

Initial impression: The feats they've improved were all top-tier feats already. New and Unchanged feats are all mid-to low tier.

MarkB

Legend
Just looking over the backgrounds, weird that they're listing out specific languages. I know that it includes a statement where you can swap things out, it's just weird that backgrounds like charlatan knows Infernal or cultists knows Abyssal (rather than choose Abyssal or Infernal). For every background except criminal, it just seems like they're trying to shoehorn in the language choices.
They are specifically just example backgrounds, built using the rules for custom backgrounds. You can use them as-is, or change any aspect of them using those rules.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Maybe they'll divide the game up into "blocks," similar to the way they do Magic: the Gathering cards. Like how in M:tG, if I don't want to use the Infect mechanic, I know to avoid cards from the Scars of Mirrodin block. If they are trying to adopt a similar model for the next edition of D&D, they're already halfway there. Like, if I want to avoid plasmoids, I know to avoid books in the Spelljammer "block".

Medic

Neutral Evil
Honestly, the mixed race rules are the D&D equivalent of the one drop rule. Pretty naughty word up, imo.
They are pretty emaciated, in my opinion, and do gloss over the many tangible implications of mixed lineage. Then again, I'm not really expecting much from a small pdf of playtest material.

I'm hoping that this is the heart of the changes and not just the tip of the iceberg. Given that races were the aspect the designers seemed most unhappy with it's possible this (and backgrounds being adjusted in response) is where they were most inclined to radical reworking.

But the degree of proposed change in this document fills me with trepidation about what future playtest documents will hold.

Remove ads