Five (or so) favorite RPG books for lore/reading pleasure

G

Guest 7034872

I guess my tastes largely mesh with FriendlyFiend's:
  1. Planescape Campaign Setting.
  2. Uncaged: Faces of Sigil.
  3. Deities & Demigods (AD&D, original printing). On this one I'm with you, Mercurius: this was my absolute favorite D&D book for many years. In some ways I suppose it still is. I loved and love the idea of the planes of existence, their tie to the Great Wheel (I like alignment), and the notion of high-level PCs gaining access to them and even acquiring the ability to interact with gods. For decades my dream campaign has been one that stretches across wildly different planes with equally wildly different environmental and social challenges. It was only after reading this book that I started reading Lovecraft.
  4. Manual of the Planes. Big surprise, right?
  5. PHB (5e). I know this certifies me as a total dweeb 'n' everything, but I really like 5e and I read this thing all the time. To my untrained eye, anyway, there's plenty in there to learn.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The RPG setting books that really grabbed me the most were for:

RIFTS
Space:1889
The Strange
Deadlands
Underground
Spelljammer
DarkSun

I would like to add this suggestion to my list:

And I’m adding Paranoia, as well. Not only is it a great dark comedic take on a Logan’s Run style arcology, the designers reserved all the best jokes for the GMs. It is the only RPG that has made me laugh out loud with the designers than at the designers.

subourbonite

Villager
  • Vaesen - it’s gorgeous, and I also enjoy the system and setting / lore.
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics: Lankhmar - I’m a sucker for Lieber, and the DCC artwork is pretty amazing.
  • RuneQuest - anything Glorantha related, really
  • Mongoose Traveller 2e
  • AD&D Greyhawk Adventures sourcebook

kronovan

Adventurer
Midgard World Book/Campaign Setting: I begrudgingly bought the newer World Book, as I'd already run some enjoyable campaigns with the earlier Campaign Setting book. While I miss the quality AGE appendix in the Campaign Setting book, I do find the newer World Book to be the better. I've run campaigns with True20, AGE, D&D5e and 13th Age and always found those books to helpful , rich for lore and enjoyable to read.
Exploring Eberron; Of the 5 Eberron setting books I own, this is the best for lore. No surprise as it's authored and published by Keith Baker - original setting creator.
Glorantha Sourcebook: I'm still digging into this book, but I've been impressed.
The 5 Battletech House Books; there as much or source books for the tabletop miniatures game, but they have terrific lore for a tabletop RPG. Whether or not your running with the official A Time of War RPG, or adapting to another one.
Threats to the Nentir Vale: It's a bestiary for the D&D 4e Nentir Vale/Points of Light setting, but it does so much more than that. I really like how it gives a page or 2 to some family of beasts and for some NPC factions. It's done well enough, that I was able to homebrew some successful adventures by just hooking into that lore.
The One Ring 1e and Adventures in Middle Earth source books: I really feel that Cubicle 7 nailed the lore for Tolkien's ME. I've spent hours reading through the lore in them and never regretted buying them.

Remove ads