D&D 5E Fixing the fighter (I know...)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One use of this shows with a dex based fighter - high dex, no prof spent on dex skills. Focus on DeX, Con, Wisdom scores - highest DeX of course. Then devote proficiencies to survival, animals, insight etc. Now you have good skill scores in all the dex skill from the half-bonus plus high dex and proficient strong skills in the Wisdoms as well. At 7th you are looking at +5 and higher at a lot of skills that tend to see a lot of use outside of combat.

Now, if one plays in a game where optimization drives the meme of "second best is useless" design choices, this may seem pointless, but in our experience in actual play it's far from that. It certainly did not hurt a wood elf archer champion I saw.
Out of curiosity, why are you quoting me??? With Remarkable Athlete you can already do this RAW, so what is your point? In my post I said "While it might seem underwhelming..." I don't consider it that way at all but many players do.

Bingo! There's that hard ceiling. Fighters MUST NEVER do anything that a real world person can't. :D
Umm... that isn't exactly what I said you know. RAW Fighters already do things real world people can't... like defeat a dragon in a one-on-one fight. No soldier, martial artist, etc. in this world could do it with the martial weapons in the PHB. Maybe with some grenades, rocket launcher, etc., who knows? ;)

Quickleaf

Legend
Bingo! There's that hard ceiling. Fighters MUST NEVER do anything that a real world person can't. :D

Wondering out loud... Do you think that "hard ceiling" could be precisely part of the package attracting players to the fighter class and making it such a popular class? Playing that character with nothing but sharp steel and their wits who overcomes terrible monsters and reality-bending magic?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wondering out loud... Do you think that "hard ceiling" could be precisely part of the package attracting players to the fighter class and making it such a popular class?
I don't know the description of Fighter in the PHB of 2e included Herakles as inspiration .. which hard ceiling is the character patterned after the titanic strength demigod running into oh right a standing broadjump which can be matched by normal football player and the attack rate of very normal but skilled archer -the game answers yeah you can kill things because hit points are abstractions even just overcoming an enemies luck but damnit you are stuck with less than impressive anything else. Oh yeah and you and in epic you have 25 percentiles better at doing skill stuff when you are a baby character does it make you feel so awesome. (to do something you used to do 40 percent of the time at 65 percent of the time)

That PHB included Beowulf who was able to hold his breath for hours

That PHB included Hiawatha who was said to fire a dozen arrows before the first hit the ground

That PHB included tactical supergeniuses who took over the known world at a very young age.

Cu Cuhlainn was mentioned in that description...

To me the game knew what a high level fighter needed to be it never quite expressed it well mechanically.

I think if all you want is to be Bard from the Lord of the Rings making a super lucky hit with tactical clues from another hero ... how about play low levels (A lot of campaigns have that already) Nobody is preventing that...

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Out of curiosity, why are you quoting me??? With Remarkable Athlete you can already do this RAW, so what is your point? In my post I said "While it might seem underwhelming..." I don't consider it that way at all but many players do.

Umm... that isn't exactly what I said you know. RAW Fighters already do things real world people can't... like defeat a dragon in a one-on-one fight. No soldier, martial artist, etc. in this world could do it with the martial weapons in the PHB. Maybe with some grenades, rocket launcher, etc., who knows? ;)
"Out of curiosity, why are you quoting me??? With Remarkable Athlete you can already do this RAW, so what is your point? In my post I said "While it might seem underwhelming..." I don't consider it that way at all but many players do."

Uhhh... you had made a comment about the feature and I thought this a good opportunity to mention it. It wsdnt an attack or a challenge or an accusation so... really more agreement and further comment...

But hey, in the future - no worries - wont bother.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
"Out of curiosity, why are you quoting me??? With Remarkable Athlete you can already do this RAW, so what is your point? In my post I said "While it might seem underwhelming..." I don't consider it that way at all but many players do."

Uhhh... you had made a comment about the feature and I thought this a good opportunity to mention it. It wsdnt an attack or a challenge or an accusation so... really more agreement and further comment...

But hey, in the future - no worries - wont bother.
Well then that's fine, simple misunderstanding.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Wondering out loud... Do you think that "hard ceiling" could be precisely part of the package attracting players to the fighter class and making it such a popular class?
No, I doubt it. The fighter has stayed the most popular class through a range of significant design changes. When it was utterly skill-less in the early game, complex feat-based builds in 3.0, judged dismally Tier 5 in 3.5, balanced and with more powers to choose from than any other class in 4.0, busted back down to beatsick in Essentials, or action surging & self-healing in 5e.
Playing that character with nothing but sharp steel and their wits who overcomes terrible monsters and reality-bending magic?
That doesn't require mechanical inferiority.

Last edited:

No, I doubt it. The fighter has stayed the most popular class through a range of significant design changes. When it was utterly skill-less in the early game, complex feat-based builds in 3.0, judged dismally Tier 5 in 3.5, balanced and with more powers to choose from than any other class in 4.0, busted back down to beatsick in Essentials, or action surging & self-healing in 5e.
None of the design changes you cite vary this "hard ceiling" significantly. As several people -- including you, in your very next sentence -- have taken pains to note, whatever conceptual "hard ceiling" fighters have exists independent of their mechanical power level. Nothing a maximum-level fighter can do in any edition of the game is particularly inconsistent with a quasi-realistic Conan-style character (unless they're a 5E eldritch knight or took 4E multiclassing feats or something; you get what I mean).

Remove ads