• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fixing the Fighter: The Zouave

Oofta

Legend
It might run the risk of increasing the fighter's popularity?
But, again, why is such an improvement to the fighter class so intolerable?

Most other classes have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to being able to contribute in all the pillars (I say 'most' because, while the Rogue is capable in all the pillars, a given rogue's not that flexible in how it contributes in each of them, and because the Barbarian, especially the Berserker, is prettymuch in the same boat as the Fighter).

It's not necessary in my opinion. It's always been part of the game and nobody I've ever encountered in actual game play has an issue with it. That doesn't make changes "intolerable" just unnecessary because it's so incredibly simple to address.

You asked for ways to improve the fighter. I gave an option. Your turn. What would "fix" the fighter for you and why is my solution "intolerable"?

Undrave

Legend
What kind of things do people want to give the fighter to do outside combat?

Personally I'm looking for ways that would allow them to make an ACTIVE choice to mitigate the randomness of die rolls. Like how a higher level rogue can just say "no, it's a ten" or a Spellcaster has spells that just DO stuff, or at least give a significant boost (like Pass Without Trace) at the cost of some ressource.

Simply rolling for skills is just not as engaging because you pick your proficiency and stats at character generation and maybe level up, but after that it's just a matter of looking for a nail to pound with your hammer. And classes that have incentive to have high score in a specific stat can always outshine you in your specific skills.

Gaming happens when you have choices.

Something as simple as being able to exert yourself in the form of spending hit dice to get better at physical tests (STR/DEX/CON) would already go a long way. You would have to choose to spend a ressource.

It's also something that would scale well with level as you'll get more dice.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's not necessary in my opinion. It's always been part of the game and nobody I've ever encountered in actual game play has an issue with it. That doesn't make changes "intolerable" just unnecessary
That doesn't explain your continued engagement in this thread. If it were just that, you'd've shrugged and moved on.

What's the real issue?

What would "fix" the fighter for you and why is my solution "intolerable"?
Your "solution" just isn't a solution at all. It's "everything's OK, just turn on feats." That's simply a denial of the problem.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Personally I'm looking for ways that would allow them to make an ACTIVE choice to mitigate the randomness of die rolls. Like how a higher level rogue can just say "no, it's a ten" or a Spellcaster has spells that just DO stuff, or at least give a significant boost (like Pass Without Trace) at the cost of some ressource.

Simply rolling for skills is just not as engaging because you pick your proficiency and stats at character generation and maybe level up, but after that it's just a matter of looking for a nail to pound with your hammer. And classes that have incentive to have high score in a specific stat can always outshine you in your specific skills.

Something as simple as being able to exert yourself in the form of spending hit dice to get better at physical tests (STR/DEX/CON) would already go a long way. You would have to choose to spend a resource.

I was calling it over exertion.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer

Something as simple as being able to exert yourself in the form of spending hit dice to get better at physical tests (STR/DEX/CON) would already go a long way. You would have to choose to spend a ressource.

Sounds to me like to fighter should be merged with the warlord. Not a bad thing either.

Oofta

Legend
That doesn't explain your continued engagement in this thread. If it were just that, you'd've shrugged and moved on.

What's the real issue?

Because I have a bad habit of not ignoring direct questions when there is no response that I can give that will satisfy the questioner other than "Yes, you are correct I agree 100%!"

Your "solution" just isn't a solution at all. It's "everything's OK, just turn on feats." That's simply a denial of the problem.
Yes, you are correct I agree 100%!

Sorry, just ... can't. :rolleyes:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Something as simple as being able to exert yourself in the form of spending hit dice to get better at physical tests (STR/DEX/CON) would already go a long way. You would have to choose to spend a resource.

how about this thought however you implement make it so you can spend temporary hit points... so being inspired or ralied or similar allows you to dig deep in various ways.

Undrave

Legend
how about this thought however you implement make it so you can spend temporary hit points... so being inspired or ralied or similar allows you to dig deep in various ways.

Interesting. Would you say this would need a certain amount equal to spend? Because if you only ask for "All temp HP" that would mean using 1 or 20 would be the same worth.

Or, you simply spend any amount of Temp HP you want and just add the amount to the dice roll?

Added to the Fighter Manouvres in the latest UA.

"When you make a Dexterity (Stealth) check or an initiative roll, you can expend one superiority die and add the die to the roll."

"Silver Tongue When you make a Charisma (Deception) check or a Charisma (Persuasion) check, you can expend one superiority die, and add the superiority die to the ability check.".

Studious Eye When you make a Wisdom (Insight) check or an Intelligence (Investigation) check, you can expend one superiority die, and add the superiority die to the ability check.

Remove ads