• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fixing the Fighter: The Zouave

Undrave

Legend
Added to the Fighter Manouvres in the latest UA.

"Silver Tongue When you make a Charisma (Deception) check or a Charisma (Persuasion) check, you can expend one superiority die, and add the superiority die to the ability check.".

Yeah that stuff is pretty cool. FINALLY they give us extra maneuvers!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Interesting. Would you say this would need a certain amount equal to spend? Because if you only ask for "All temp HP" that would mean using 1 or 20 would be the same worth.

Or, you simply spend any amount of Temp HP you want and just add the amount to the dice roll?
I was thinking 3HP or 3THP for a dies worth perhaps.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I don’t use feats except with first level variant humans. And I have had zero problem with fighter participation outside combat. It would be cool if they would give the fighter some appropriate perks outside combat. But if you want a solution before d&d 6E comes out for your table then feats is an option. It’s a blanket ability, doesn’t have to go towards combat. If you don’t use feats consider allowing them for the non-combat options only until someone officially does what you want. Or make up your own houses until then. Don’t like it then fix it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is a good example of the agency and design favouritism between fighters and casters. Almost every book that has player crunch in it has more spells where as it took 5 years to get more manoeuvres.
I had noticed that many more spells in 5e products. At least, compared to 3e and post-Essentials. There was the Elemental pdf, a few cantrips for the Bladesinger in SCAG, and some gems like Tiny Servant in X'sGtE...
What'd I miss?

Oofta

Legend
You're doing a great job ignoring this one: What'd be wrong with making the fighter as good out of combat, relative to other classes, as those classes are good in combat, relative to the fighter?
Just because you don't agree with my answer that I've given multiple times doesn't mean I haven't answered.

It's not needed.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think it should be the average amount of the hit dice then, so a 6. Though a nice round 5 would also be easy.
I considered that and it could be reasonable, though i halved it since at level 4 you then have as many exertions as a 4e fighter has Healing surges ;p. However since the resource is going to allow THP you may be right.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Just because you don't agree with my answer that I've given multiple times doesn't mean I haven't answered.
It's not needed.
It's not that I don't agree - obviously, I don't agree that a solution to an undeniable & long-standing problem isn't needed - it's just that there's a lot of room between "not needed" and "must be stopped."

Because, let's face it, there's a lot of wiggle room in the nominal balance of class designs, so even if the fighter were to get a load of non-combat enhancements, what would it hurt?

Say you gave the Fighter Expertise, for instance, would that really make the Bard and Rogue less viable classes?

Remove ads