D&D 5E Fizban Is In The Wild -- With the Table of Contents!

Some people have received their copies of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, and have posted photos (including the table of contents!) online!

Some people have received their copies of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, and have posted photos (including the table of contents!) online!

8BFC444C-5615-4B7D-8BB7-F5D32D4F4C49.jpeg

E9ABFDE2-7C70-4917-8A3B-8C08CC5818DF.jpeg

E8DE898D-6851-408A-BC24-7010CEF5FF14.jpeg

RavinRay

Explorer
Watching more of Fry's page-through, and on the page about dragon turtles, there's a comment from Fizban, who says he didn't create them, and Tiamat swears she didn't either, so where did they come from and why. Gave me a bit of a chuckle.
Zeboim spawned them on Krynn ("If Mom can create dragons, so can I!") and then let them loose on the other worlds?

Also, it looks like the Steel/Song dragon sidebar essentially says "There are lots of rumors of creatures called steel, song, or weredragon, but these are probably just other one of the main dragon types." So the book kind of says that steel/song dragons don't actually exist, they're folklore.
That's just what the steel and song dragons want you to think!

But on a more serious note, I did mention up thread on how to fudge the stat blocks if you want to have them around...

I'll need to read more closely when it comes to Sardior - is he so shattered that he cannot manifest in any way, or is he still somewhat coherent and is able to appear in some form or other, even temporarily? (Or is this even addressed? It might be left up to the DM.) Granted, Sardior has had minimal lore previously (I think mainly from Dragon magazine articles and a web enhancement with the 3e Draconomicon), so whatever the case may be there's precious little canon to adjust here if need be.

As for the rest of the draconic pantheon - powerful great wyrm or deity, are there any significant differences for a worshiper? Semantics likely means nothing to those at the ground level.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
I only wonder if Io is mentioned at all in the book. But I guess that the lore from the SCAG is still true for them. It would explain why Bahamut and Tiamat are that important now.

RavinRay

Explorer
I'll need to read more closely when it comes to Sardior - is he so shattered that he cannot manifest in any way, or is he still somewhat coherent and is able to appear in some form or other, even temporarily? (Or is this even addressed? It might be left up to the DM.) Granted, Sardior has had minimal lore previously (I think mainly from Dragon magazine articles and a web enhancement with the 3e Draconomicon), so whatever the case may be there's precious little canon to adjust here if need be.
Scott Brocius and Mark A. Jindra did a whole series of 3.0 Sardior lore in the Mind's Eye psionics column of WotC D&D beginning with The Legend of Sardior. They gave Sardior and his six thanes (including a deceased obsidian dragon ex-thane) full stats, prestige classes for Sardior devotees, details on his church, and new powers.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Granted, Sardior has had minimal lore previously (I think mainly from Dragon magazine articles and a web enhancement with the 3e Draconomicon), so whatever the case may be there's precious little canon to adjust here if need be.
There were some great Mind's Eye articles about Sadior and his church and followers, too.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Even then, the whole thing about Eberron's lore is that it has intentional gaps. Not only in in-world knowledge. Not even Keith Baker has the answer for this things. Having the progenitors be real, even if nobody in world knows it, sets a standard, and answer one of the biggest questions of the setting (Are gods real?), and every single table that answers that question with "no" will be deviating form canon (a lot of people don't care about that, I know, but a lot do). To do that in a book that isn't focused on Eberron, and doesn't have the care and intent of tailoring sotries to Eberron, would be a big mistake IMHO.

I like Patmandur's idea, just add a phrase... "Dragons in argonessen believe that...."
No setting is sacrosanct anymore, and WotC has said publically that canon doesnt matter if if interferes with their plans. However, I sincerely doubt there's going to be anything definitive lore-wise in the new book. The only way to avoid potential offense is to not provide definitive answers. I expect vague suggestions with a healthy dose of, "you can do whatever you want".

Scott Brocius and Mark A. Jindra did a whole series of 3.0 Sardior lore in the Mind's Eye psionics column of WotC D&D beginning with The Legend of Sardior. They gave Sardior and his six thanes (including a deceased obsidian dragon ex-thane) full stats, prestige classes for Sardior devotees, details on his church, and new powers.
That's what I meant, just thought it was for the Draconomicon and not the psionics in general.

Remove ads

Remove ads