D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Its breath weapon is the anti-magic cone of a beholder, basically.

The elder brain dragon is even scarier. Its breath weapon is brine mixed in with illithid tadpoles. Have fun when you have a tadpole burrowing into your brain during combat! Plus, it can grapple with its tentacles, and it has a legendary action that automatically breaks a foe's Concentration...

Beyond that, it mentions that the new stat blocks include sea serpents, dragonborn champions, and humanoid servitors to dragons.

They forgot to mention the Hoard Mimic which they'd previously mentioned.

So 70 stat blocks, not including Templates, but including each age category.

I would be interesting to see how many of the 70 we can figure out.

Not including Great Wyrms, there are what 5 age categories for True Dragons?

That means there are 16 Gem Dragon stats alone.

Deep Dragons are an interesting question as didn't see any in high CR. I believe it's going to be a Template, but maybe they just made them extremely weak.

Dragon Turtles & Faerie Dragons get what 4 new age categories?

Elder Brain Dragon, Eye Drake, Hoard Mimic.

Do you think Sea Serpent will have age categories and the Dragon type?

2 God Aspects.

A Metallic Great Wyrm & Chromatic Great Wyrm.

What am I missing beyond humanoid servants?

RavinRay

Explorer
Did WotC hint that we'll have enough unique dragons to round out those 70 stat blocks, be they deific aspects or epic individuals? Because I hope they throw in a bonus and give us a high CR Demodragon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Deep Dragons are an interesting question as didn't see any in high CR. I believe it's going to be a Template, but maybe they just made them extremely weak.

2 God Aspects.

Gem Great Wyrm.

I dunno of Fairie Dragons will get Age categories: they are getting Lore and random tables, remains to be seen what they get. Even assuming they do, that barely gets us halfway.

2 God Aspects.

20 gem dragon stat blocks: 5 gem dragon types (amethyst, crystal, emerald, sapphire, topaz) x 4 age categories. And technically that should be 21 with the gem great wyrm. I assume the gem-adjacent moonstone dragon will also have a full 4 stat blocks (as we've seen the ancient in the CR list, and art that specifies an adult moonstone dragon, which implies the other two age categories).

Dragon turtles will presumably get 3 new stat blocks, with the current MM one being the "adult" stage.

Like Parmandur, I'm skeptical that they'll add additional stat blocks for faerie dragons.

I'm not sure what they are doing with deep dragons. They might just be weaker than white dragons and don't top out at a 20+ CR, or perhaps since they live in the Underdark, there's simply not enough room for them to comfortably grow to Gargantuan/Ancient size, leaving them to top out at Adult. Or perhaps they were mistakenly left out of that sneak peek high CR list.

And, apparently, we'll see the five draconian stat blocks.

see

Pedantic Grognard
The latest issue of Dragon+ Magazine is out, and it has a section on Fizban's, concentrating on the bestiary. It states that the bestiary is around 1/3 of the book, has over 70 stat blocks, and focused in particular on the CR 8 Eyedrake (basically when a beholder dreams of a dragon and produces this hybrid as offspring)
Kantharaxi, resplendent in its blue scales, scoffs at these inferior results of beholders dreaming of dragons.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads