D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury: The Dragon Book Now Has A Description... And A Feat

Courtesy of Amazon, we now have a description for Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the October D&D hardcover. The book introduces gem dragons, dragon-themed player options, and plenty of draconic lore! This joins September's The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and November's Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos. At D&D Live this weekend, WotC will be revealing a lot more about all three books. It will...

Courtesy of Amazon, we now have a description for Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the October D&D hardcover. The book introduces gem dragons, dragon-themed player options, and plenty of draconic lore! This joins September's The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and November's Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos.

At D&D Live this weekend, WotC will be revealing a lot more about all three books. It will be interesting to see if the Dragonlance-themed title means the book has Dragonlance content (I'm hoping for dragonlances and draconians, at least), and whether it settles that old argument of whether Paladine and Takhisis are actually Bahamut and Tiamat, or merely inspired by them.

(Warning: Dragonlance Chronicles spoilers in the cover text, if you haven't read those novels yet!)

fizzy.jpeg

Discover everything there is to know about dragons—the most iconic of D&D monsters—in this quintessential reference guide.

Meet Fizban the Fabulous: doddering archmage, unlikely war hero, divine avatar of a dragon-god—and your guide to the mysteries of dragonkind.

What is the difference between a red dragon and a gold dragon? What is dragonsight? How does a dragon’s magic impact the world around them? This comprehensive guide provides Dungeon Masters with a rich hoard of tools and information for designing dragon-themed encounters, adventures, and campaigns. Dragonslayers and dragon scholars alike will also appreciate its insight into harnessing the power of dragon magic and options for players to create unique, memorable draconic characters.

• Introduces gem dragons to fifth edition!
• Provides Dungeon Masters with tools to craft adventures inspired by dragons, including dragon lair maps and detailed information about 20 different types of dragons
• Adds player character options, including dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, additional spell options, and a feat
• Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of dragons and dragon-related creatures—including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more
• Reveals the story of the First World and the role the dragon gods Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I've really rather warmed up to the idea that Dragons can serve as Patrons for just about all Warloxk Suvclasses, depending on the Dragon type, or a connection for any Class (order of Knights founded by a Silver, or a Red, Dragon for the Paladins? Thieves Guild run by a Black Dragon training Arcane Tricksters? A Tradition of Illusionists presided over by a Copper Dragon?)
I agree, but wouldn't it also be cool to have a dragon-specific Warlock subclass? Undead have one, even though Hexblade, Undying, and Fiend could replicate quite a few undead patrons, so IMO, Dragons deserve the same treatment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree, but wouldn't it also be cool to have a dragon-specific Warlock subclass? Undead have one, even though Hexblade, Undying, and Fiend could replicate quite a few undead patrons, so IMO, Dragons deserve the same treatment.
That would have been thought...bjt I'm warming up to the idea of Dragons filling all possible roles, and am.curioys about the implementation.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not impressed.

I had enough with lame subclasses, the last good ones for me was the Xanathar's, then they started feeling like the prestige class bloat of 3e.

I don't like lesser draconic monsters very much, I can understand they're useful to bring the 2nd D of D&D into lower levels, but they still dilute the awe of dragonkind. Even less I like playable draconic races, for the same reason.

Never liked gem dragons, too cartoonish and focused on psionics (a whole area I was never fond of).

A new age category is nice for storytelling and worldbuilding. It'll never see a practical use in my games with those CRs however.

New spells and feats are always welcome in my games. But ONE feat certainly isn't going to make me want to spend a full book price.

What I would like to see to change my mind, is extensive awesome fluff (similar to Volo's) about dragons, that is great to read and can be incorporated into your campaign in bits and pieces or as a whole. And as for crunch, give me new alternative TRUE dragon types that are more unique. I don't know, pick some sensible words out of a dictionary and design a dragon around each: how about an Autumn Dragon, a Luck Dragon, an Ocean Dragon, a Moon Dragon, a Rain Dragon... what they could be?

dave2008

Legend
New spells and feats are always welcome in my games. But ONE feat certainly isn't going to make me want to spend a full book price.
You must be late to the game, the 1 feat was a misunderstanding of the press release. There will be multiple feats.
What I would like to see to change my mind, is extensive awesome fluff (similar to Volo's) about dragons, that is great to read and can be incorporated into your campaign in bits and pieces or as a whole.
1/3 of the book will be fluff
And as for crunch, give me new alternative TRUE dragon types that are more unique. I don't know, pick some sensible words out of a dictionary and design a dragon around each: how about an Autumn Dragon, a Luck Dragon, an Ocean Dragon, a Moon Dragon, a Rain Dragon... what they could be?
1/3 of the book is a bestiary. In previous books that was around 100 monsters. Personally am I happy to get great wyrms (and the whole "echo" thing sounds interesting) and really happy we will finally get full age categories for dragons. I have no need for alternate "true dragons" as it is simple for me to file off the colors if you will.

Last edited:

You must be late to the game, the 1 feat was a misunderstanding of the press release. There will be multiple feats.

1/3 of the book will be fluff

1/3 of the book is a bestiary. In previous books that was around 100 monsters. Personally I happy to get great wyrms (and the whole "echo" thing sounds interesting) and really happy we will finally get full age categories for dragons. I have no need for alternate "true dragons" as it is simple for me to file off the colors if you will.

I'll add there will be a deep dive on 20 types of Dragons.

Reynard

Legend
I mean, yeah, I agree that it would make a good DMs Guild project, but I wish WotC did it so I didn't have to. And, if they did it, it would be official.
That's the whole goal of the DMsGuild, though -- it is there to allow skilled community creators to fill in the gaps WotC doesn't have the staff or time to deal with.

Remove ads

Remove ads