• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Sphere... again.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Bit unrelated, but still about flaming sphere.

Is damage for being next to it at start of round (1d4+int) modified by:

- magic implement ?
- feats which add for fire damage ?

Yes, because it is "rolled" damage. Implements specifiy that they add to damage rolls.

I can't remember if the various feats specifiy that as well, but I think they do.

DrSpunj

Explorer
Yep, Implements section for the Wizard, PHB pg 157:
A wizard wielding a magic orb, staff, or wand can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of wizard powers, as well as wizard paragon path powers, that have the implement keyword.

That's a good thing to remember because I'm not sure I've been doing it correctly either as a player or a DM. Subtle point but this is pretty clear.

Edit: Oh, and Caliban's correct on the feats as well:
You gain a +1 feat bonus to damage rolls when you use a power that has the Type1 or Type2 keyword.

Last edited:

lgstarn

First Post
Yep, Implements section for the Wizard, PHB pg 157:

That's a good thing to remember because I'm not sure I've been doing it correctly either as a player or a DM. Subtle point but this is pretty clear.

Edit: Oh, and Caliban's correct on the feats as well:

Also, PHB 57:

Some powers add modifiers to attack rolls or
damage rolls. These modifiers apply to any roll of
the dice, but not to ongoing damage or other static,
nonvariable effects.
The paladin’s wrath of the gods
prayer, for example, adds her Charisma modifier to
her and her allies’ damage rolls until the end of the
encounter. When her cleric ally invokes flame strike,
the damage equals 2d10 + Wisdom modifier + the
paladin’s Charisma modifier fire damage and ongoing
5 fire damage. The ongoing damage doesn’t increase,
because it’s a static effect.

This has pretty much already been stated, but this passage shows conclusively why you apply the implement bonus to the standard action and adjacent attack of the Flaming Sphere but not to the Cloud of Daggers area damage.

Eldorian

First Post
Conjurations
Powers that have the conjuration keyword create
objects or creatures of magical energy.
Unless a power description says otherwise,
a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected, and a conjuration does not occupy any squares.
A conjuration uses your ability scores and defenses
to determine the outcome of attacks it makes and
attacks against it (if such attacks are possible).
Environmental phenomena and other forces have
no effect on a conjuration unless a power description
says otherwise. For example, a conjuration that produces
an icy hand functions in a fiery, volcanic cavern
without penalty.
If a power allows you to move a conjuration, at least
1 square that the conjuration occupies must remain
within the power’s range. If you move far enough away
from a conjuration that it is no longer in range, its
effect immediately ends.
If a conjuration’s creator is slain, the conjuration
immediately ends.

The flaming sphere specifically states, (in updated form) that it occupies a square. It does not state that it is passable by anyone, allies or enemies, such as the cleric power Knights of Unyielding Valor allows allies but not enemies (interestingly, the cleric is not his own ally, so he cannot pass through or gain cover from his knights, though I would errata this), and the cleric power Astral Defenders allows creatures (the caster, his allies, and his enemies) to pass through.

If the conjuration occupies a square, then it's impassible unless it specifies otherwise. If it doesn't occupy a square, then it's passable unless it specifies otherwise (wall of ice). As an impassible square, it is impossible to force another creature into the conjuration.

Overall, conjurations are a weak spot in the rules, and have inconsistent language. WotC needed to tell a guy to read every description of every conjuration and rewrite each power so that they all read the same. I hope that in all future books they all have the same language.

I would maybe allow to damage a helpless foe for 1d4+int while passing by. The 2d6+int is clearly the damage for trying to actively move the into an opponent, which will stop it an leave it next to this foe...

allowing to damage each foe in the path would not be in the spirit of 4th edition (action economy)

regarding creatures beeing able to pass through a field ccupied by a sphere: an acrobatics check should do it... if successful: no damage - if not: damage (i thnk 1d4+int would be ok)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads