• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Sphere... again.

OchreJelly

First Post
I'd let an ally move through it but the sphere gets a free attack. It's only fair. Completely a house rule though. :)

You could, or you could see it as a low burning ember that occasionally pulses blasts of fire. There are ways to come up with believable flavor to keep powers in line with the RAW.

I would caution against adding to a power simply based on perceived flavor. That's both a benefit and a drawback of the "less is more" power flavor. On one hand it's nice to have some freedom to interpret a power in different ways, on the other hand you sometimes have to perform some mental gymnastics that not everyone may agree on.

mikebr99

Explorer
Happy FLAMING SPHERE!
-only $14.95-

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy FLAMING SPHERE.
Caution: Happy FLAMING SPHEREmay suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
Happy FLAMING SPHERE Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use Happy FLAMING SPHERE on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy FLAMING SPHERE if any of the following occurs:
Itching
Vertigo
Dizziness
Tingling in extremities
Loss of balance or coordination
Slurred speech
Temporary blindness
Profuse sweating
Heart palpitations

If Happy FLAMING SPHERE begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
Happy FLAMING SPHERE may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy FLAMING SPHERE should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy FLAMING SPHERE , Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy FLAMING SPHERE include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy FLAMING SPHERE has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy FLAMING SPHERE.

Happy FLAMING SPHERE comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Happy FLAMING SPHERE

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

Irda Ranger

First Post
So when a wizard moves the flaming sphere around the battlefield, he can move it over people and damage everyone in its path?
Actually, that's a really good question ...

I realize that the spell power description does not allow for this, but still, how does it move over a battlefield? Are you forced to route around people, or can you pass over/through them?

Chen_93

First Post
The sphere occupies a square. I wouldn't call it a creature and thus it is not an ally or enemy. It cannot be moved THROUGH other people because people cannot occupy the same space as objects (unless they have phasing).

Kinie

First Post
Now, here's a question for you all:

Say that there is a Flaming Sphere in square 3A. In 2A is a monster, and 1A holds a sword and board Fighter. On the Fighter's turn, he Tide of Iron's the monster into square 3A. How would you handle this?

For our DM, he had the sphere grant a free attack while the monster rolled out of the square and into a square adjacent to the sphere. What ended up happening is that the Wizard would cast it when it was the proper time. I would run up and Tide of Iron it into the sphere, and the sphere ended up hitting about 70% of the time on the free attack.

I know there are rules on how to treat hazardous squares. Could you treat the square that the Flaming Sphere occupies as a hazardous square, and therefore keep it bound by those same rules?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads