• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fleshshiver: overpowered? Used? Eratta?

Cephid

First Post
What is the go here?
Does anyone have experience with this spell?
It seems pretty full on. Stunned with no save is really powerful for taking out big tough creatures.

Could this spell unballance the game?
Are these rules (below) correct, or has it ben updated/removed?
Are there any 5th level spells of similar power?

Fleshshiver(PGF p103)(PGFe)+
<Necro, VSM(bone), 1StdAct, Close-range,
Instantaneous, SR applies>
– This spell twists the target’s skeleton.
1st round – Target is Stunned for 1rnd (no save)
2nd round – Target takes 1d6 Bludgeoning
damage per Caster level (max 15d6) and is
Nauseated for 1d4+2 rounds (FortNeg).

Iku Rex

Explorer
Cephid said:
Are these rules (below) correct, or has it ben updated/removed?
It's been errataed, WotC-style*, in Spell Compendium. Now it's 6th level and opponents get a save on the stunning effect if they have more HD than your caster level, and the damage is capped at 15d6.

*Don't tell anyone what the changes are, or even that there are changes. That's way too much work. Just change it and expect people to notice it at some point and work out what the official version is supposed to be using the publishing dates of the supplements.

Fishbone

First Post
Originally this spell was a BEAST. I've used it in play as a Necromancer and it is burly as all get out in original form. Stun for a round and then deal 40 to 50 damage along with nauseation(probably the worst status effects besides stun and daze) and you have a real monster on your hands. New version? Looks a little weak.

Cephid

First Post
well that just blows...but thanks alot for your help. I really did think it was way too powerful.

Any suggestions on other 5th level spell choice for my sorcerer?
I wanted something with some punch. Is prismatis ray any good, or just too random? If not that, what else?

Ditch

First Post
I had a sorc in my old campaign who used fleshsiver constantly. I'm just glad that as a sorc he couldn't quicken spell, so at least there was a minimal amount of blance: in order to lock down the BBEG it kept his turns used-up recasting it. That spell needed fixing badly. My DM insisted the name "fleshshiver" was derived from the DM's reaction, not the spell's effects. :lol:

Personally, I don't like the randomness of the prismatic ray (spray) but this is purely taste. Do you have any spell focus feats? I'm just wondering what would get you the most milage for your buck. If it's your first spell I'd go with something that you won't possibly choke on (ie. vs Undead or constructs).

Cephid

First Post
Second spell actually.
I'm aiming to get dimension door or teleport with silent spell for quick, hard to stop escapes.

For my other slot I want something kick-ass.
I was thinking orb of cold, but empowered scorching ray is better.
I don't have any spell focus.

What is out there that I don't know about?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads