• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLGS and DnD?

Layander

First Post
My friends and I still play DnD but when I go to my local game store they don't carry anything dungeons and dragons, except 4th edition which they sell at 1/4th price because they say, "no one ever buys it" and when I do buy it they try to talk me out of handing them my money "are you sure you want that?"

They all claim they love dungeons and dragons but they actually play, pathfinder, star wars, and even I am doing it, I started a game of osric with my friends.

What is it that makes everyone love the game enough to say they are playing it, yet no one is actually playing it?

Dandu

First Post
and when I do buy it they try to talk me out of handing them my money "are you sure you want that?"
Sounds like someone needs a lesson in salesmanship. If a customer wants to buy a roleplaying game from your shop, then it is the best game ever devised by mankind.

Crothian

First Post
What is it that makes everyone love the game enough to say they are playing it, yet no one is actually playing it?

Osric and Pathfinder are just versions of D&D with a different name. So, they are playing D&D just calling it something different.

Layander

First Post
There was a discussion on this forum about that topic. Pathfinder while based in the d20 system is just that, a different d20 game. Just with similar named classes, that don't even function the same with the crank turned to 11.

Fun? Sure, DnD? If they said they were DnD there would be a lawsuit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds like a shop owner who's own preferences are more important to him than what the customer wants.

Plenty of people are playing it, whatever the shop owner claims. Plenty of people are playing Pathfinder, too.

the Jester

Legend
My friends and I still play DnD but when I go to my local game store they don't carry anything dungeons and dragons, except 4th edition which they sell at 1/4th price because they say, "no one ever buys it" and when I do buy it they try to talk me out of handing them my money "are you sure you want that?"

Well no wonder anyone ever buys it from them, they talk their customers out of the purchase. With that sort of dedication to their business, I'd be surprised if they're still around in two years.

kitcik

Adventurer
Sounds like someone needs a lesson in salesmanship. If a customer wants to buy a roleplaying game from your shop, then it is the best game ever devised by mankind.

If it's a mega chain, yes. It's a FLGS, then the repeat customer is your gig. Mislead them, and they'll never return.

That's not to say their opinion on 4E is right or wrong, but assuming for a second it was right, this is the proper way to treat a customer you need to return - tell them your honest opinion. If you just sell, you won't last a second season relying on repeat customers.

Neoiceshroom

Banned
Banned

They all claim they love dungeons and dragons but they actually play, pathfinder, star wars, and even I am doing it, I started a game of osric with my friends.

I gave up on trying to buy D&D source material from public places years ago. I have all of my books in .PDF format and frankly I'm glad I went electronic. It's much easier to carrier a 4 pound laptop than a backpack and a briefcase, weighing a combined total of 250+ pounds, filled to the brim with hardback books.

The only two books I still own in hardback are my Book of Vile Darkness (signed by Monte Cook) and my Book of Erotic Fantasy.

As you yourself said in this very post (pre-edit), piracy is not encouraged or allowed on these forums. Do not offer to illegally share materials on these boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegepygmy

First Post
Crothian said:
Layander said:

Osric and Pathfinder are just versions of D&D with a different name. So, they are playing D&D just calling it something different.
There was a discussion on this forum about that topic. Pathfinder while based in the d20 system is just that, a different d20 game.
Pathfinder is as much "D&D" as 3rd Edition is, unless all you actually care about is who owns the brand name and trademark. Like your friends, I claim to love "D&D" but I don't actually play the game that currently has legal rights to that name. To me, "D&D" means more than that.

You asked what it is that makes people say they love "D&D" when they don't actually play the game with that brand name. Crothian told you why they do it: because those people consider Pathfinder to be "D&D." Apparently, you don't, and that's fine, but now you know what they mean when they say they love "D&D."

Remove ads